Chapter 11

Camille was in the school restroom when her cell phone started ringing. The display showed Logan's number. Camille stared at it for a moment. It had been a while since Logan had called her, ten days, to be specific, but at least he had answered every text message she had sent him. Now she didn't know if his call was a good or a bad sign, so she took the call with mixed feelings. "Hey, Logan."

"Hi, Camille." His voice sounded happy. "Guess what, I'm feeling better."

"Really? That's great, Logan. So, the bad phase is over now?"

"Yes, and it was about time, my mom almost went crazy."

"Hmmm . . . understandable." She hesitated for a moment, then she said slowly, "Listen, Logan . . . Now that you're feeling better . . . Would you mind if I come by this afternoon?"

"No, of course not. On the contrary, I would be very happy about it. And I promise that I will be a much better company than last time."

"Oh no, don't say that. You weren't feeling well so-"

". . . I was trying to make a joke. Guess that's not my forte."

"Oh . . . No, yeah, I get it. Um, okay, I gotta go now, Logan."

"All right."

"Logan?"

"Yes?"

"I'm really glad you're okay now. I was worried about you."

"Thank you, but that wouldn't have been . . . thanks."

"See you later."

"Could you please stop with these faces? I'm already nervous."

"Sorry," Jo and James mumbled.

"Everything will be fine," Jo tried to calm her friend down. Camille looked at her doubtfully. "Yes, of course Jo, you're right. I'm just on my way to tell my super sweet and innocent boyfriend - who, by the way, has an autoimmune disorder and had never been in a relationship before - that I cheated on him. So yes, everything is fine."

"Maybe he'll understand . . ."

"You think? I'll tell you what will happen. He'll politely ask me to leave - because that's how he is - and then I'll never see or hear from him again."

"Well, on the bright side," James interjected, "if things don't work out with your boyfriend, you and I could give it a try and - ow!" With a grim look on his face, he rubbed the throbbing spot on the back of his head where Jo had hit him. "Yo, girl, why are you hitting me? I was trying to make a joke."

"Were you?" both girls asked at the same time, whereupon James mumbled something under his breath and then fell silent. Jo stepped forward and hugged Camille. "Good luck."

Camille nodded, got in her car, looked at her friends, sighed in frustration. "I said stop it!"

This time it was Logan who opened the door. He smiled at her, and Camille thought to herself that she had never seen him beam that much before. That didn't make the situation any easier for her.

"Hi," Logan greeted her cheerfully and gave her a quick hug. Camille felt a little overwhelmed by his unfamiliar cheerful attitude.

"My parents aren't home," Logan informed her as she followed him inside his room. She wasn't sure if the fact that Logan's parents weren't home was a good or bad thing. Logan closed the door and sat down on his desk chair. "So . . . what's up?"

Camille took a deep breath, kneaded her hands, and started pacing the room.

"Are you alright?" Logan asked worried.