Blossom and Wither

"I can stand, good first impressions." Julian said as he leaned heavily on his cane. He waited for the door to open for the new nursemaid. He shooed the maid away once she dropped off some food, she laughed at him and made her way through the side doors. He was leaning on his cane trying to get other the pain that was dragging at the base of his back.

The door did open and he was shaking, straining, heart starting to speed up.

"Hello, welcome, hurry up and shake my hand before I pass out. Thank you" he said quickly and grabbed the man's huge hand in his own and then sat back down in his wheelchair. He started getting some big breaths in trying to get his heart to slow back down.

He then took in the man's looks. He was large, strong looking, had silver nearly white hair, golden eyes, and his clothes were dirty. He was extremely handsome where his hair hung over his forehead and was held back by a small black tie.

"It's an honor to serve you count." He said and bowed which Julian shushed and waved his hand at.

"Oh pish posh, now come sit down with me. I had Lizzy bring up some really good stuff. She's a witch in the kitchen, literally but also she cooks so well I've cried. I personally have a sweet tooth but also I love eggs scrambled or omelets, those are French. Do you eat eggs?" Julians asked and wheeled himself over to his breakfast table, only one other chair at the table.

Geralt was confused but followed him awkwardly standing by the table before Julian leaned over and patted the seat and removed the cloches from their plates. There were two plates of scrambled eggs, some pan fried meat, small loaves of bread, and a cup of something melted and spiced looking.

"Do you not eat eggs? We have a large coop and a lot of livestock on the estate, feel free to explore as you please. I personally would love to get back there to see the sheep, I've always loved them." Julian said as he picked up a fluffy spiced egg and popped it into his mouth smiling at Geralt. He hoped the man would stay, he felt some kind of... change in himself at just the sight of the man. Something ws changing in his heart.

Geralt, who sat down, remained confused. There's a plate set in front of him but... why? What? He'd heard of the "Flower" of the rich estate family but... the weak shaky young man wasn't what he'd imagined. He'd been around for a very long time and he'd yet to meet someone like Julian.

Julian stared at him waiting but then shook his head and looked down. Soft smile on his lips and kindness running pure in his eyes.

"Dig in my friend, I'm a lonely man, I treat my servants well. I don't expect you to stay for the rest of my life, I don't expect you to feel loyalty to me. I only request you be kind. So in return for your kindness, you have free rein of the estate. Choose a room for yourself, no matter where, make food to your taste, slaughter what you please, grow what you please, just include me please." Julian said in a sad voice that hurt Geralt's heart. He was just a boy, a kid wanting someone to play with him.

He'd never met a count as... souled as Julian. He thought he'd be a chamber maid to some priss, to clean and be quiet. He'd never met someone so... honest and full of humanity's best quality, compassion and companionship, friendship and love.

Geralt should have known Julian would be good. The other servants seemed happy, like a community. All chatting as they worked, some laughing and others humming tunes as they did their business leisurely.

He was confused, though. Why?

"Count-" He started just for Julian to groan and shake his head.

"Julian, please." The boy said and took another bite of food. He hated being called ' count' ; it made him feel old.