Wes x Jen - Cookies and Confessions

Wes tossed and turned before he finally threw off the covers. He had to check on Jen. There was no threat at that moment – he knew that – but he also knew that Jen had managed to sneak away from them when they weren't paying attention. Panic rose in his chest as he saw her bed empty, blanket neatly folded but it settled when he saw the window to the balcony open. He'd found her just sitting out there a few times already.

Just as he expected, he found her, lost in the night sky, unaware of his presence. "You seem wired." He said, noticing the way she jumped slightly. "Got something on your mind?"

"No, just thinking... What are you doing up?"

"Couldn't sleep." He shrugged. "Plus I thought I'd check on you, you're making it a habit of sneaking out on us to fight your battles."

"That's not fair. That was my battle to fight and I didn't-" The glare fell from her face as she was reminded of Wes's injuries – injuries that she inflicted – and sighed. "want anyone to get hurt because of me."

He placed his hand on her shoulder. "Hey, we're Time Force Rangers, your battles are our battles too Jen."

She smiled slightly as she looked at him. "I'm really sorry Wes, for everything... and for the cookies."

"Don't be sorry." He said with a chuckle. "You don't have junk food in the year 3000, if you mastered cookies on the first try, I would've been astounded." That earned a laugh from her. "And besides, it's nice to know there's one thing you can't do because I was beginning to think that I'd be hard-pressed to find something you'd fail at."

She gasped in mock offence as she shoved him gently, making him laugh. After a few seconds of silence, he stood up and held out his hand. "What are you doing?" She asked but took his hand anyway.

"I am going to teach you how to make cookies." When she looked at him curiously, he continued. "We'll have you cooking like a pro in no time and the others never have to know." Jen rolled her eyes playfully but followed as he helped her inside and they went to the kitchen. "So what cookies would you like to make?"

"How about chocolate chip, everyone likes those, right?"

He chuckled. "Sounds perfect."

They grabbed out all the ingredients and laid them out on the counter. Jen looked at the ten ingredients in front of her curiously as she asked. "Why is there so much more than we had this morning?"

"We had a packet mix this morning so that cuts down majority of the ingredients we need but we're making it from scratch this time." He seemed to be contemplating something before he added. "Actually, I'm showing you my grandmother's recipe." He quickly busied himself with preheating the oven so he didn't have to discuss the topic any further. It also meant that Jen couldn't see his face or else, she'd find an uncharacteristic pink flush on his cheeks. "Can I get you to melt the butter?"

Jen nodded silently in response as she put the bowl in the microwave. When she came back, they started mixing the butter and cocoa powder together. Jen looked across to where the others were sleeping anxiously. "I hope we don't wake them."

Wes shook his head. "If they haven't woken up already, I doubt they will. It'll be fine."

They added the white and brown sugar next to mix before Jen asked. "Why do you use two different types of sugar?"

"I'm not sure... I started making these with Nanna when I was around eight and I never really thought to question it. I always just followed what she told me." She only smiled in response as they mixed in the eggs and then the chocolate chips before it was time to ball the dough out into cookies. Once they were placed on the baking paper, Wes put them in the oven before turning back to Jen. "Alright, now we just let them cook for twenty minutes and we're good."