here with me

Paris 2014

Sunset on top of the Eiffel Tower is the number one on Irene's bucketlist. She made that stupid list when she was 16 and was in highschool along with get a tattoo and finish a Wreck Your Journal. She'd seen a lot of sunsets in her life at 25 and she was sure that this scene will top them all. A cup of tea was placed in front of her, along with a plate of croissants, the irony, but the scene that she had been waiting for her entire life seems empty.

"Happy?" Her friend Joy asked. She's the one who convinced Irene to find work in France, because they agreed to do it when they were ten.

Is she happy? Yes.
Happy enough? No.
It's the same dilemma that she had, when she was choosing for a course in college. When she was young, she really wanted to become a doctor. When she turned 16, I realized that it's not an option because of the following reasons, 1.) they are not rich and 2.) she is a wallflower during highschool and she is not good in dealing with people. And did she still want to become a doctor? Yes. But did she become one? No. Irene sighed. Will she lie to her friend? Yes.

She nodded at Joy hoping she doesn't see the emotions that swimming through her head. All she needs to do is to ignore the balance of her bank account tomorrow. Her mom would also know too. It took them almost 6 months to get a reservation here with Joy volunteering to shoulder the expenses but she refused. She had to experience it firsthand- the view and the expenses to know if she would like to comeback.

She should feel full.
But she feels empty.

Paris 2016

"Congratulations, Irene!" Joy exclaims after Irene opened her door. There's an on-going party inside her two bedroom apartment, her co-workers are loitering around either getting chips or wine.

"Thanks." Irene replied.

"You mom called my mom and said you got promoted even before you called yesterday! I heard they are having a party there too!" Joy added. Her heart deflates. Her mom loves bragging and she think it's her sole purpose in life, she gave birth to six children and they were raised to think that one of them would help our family to get out of poverty.

"Have you heard from Lisa?" Joy asked.

She hook her head.

"Are you two still okay?" Joy asked again. "Remember Seulgi? My friend that you met last month? She's been asking about you."

Irene looked at her bestfriend. They've known each other since they were kids but sometimes she thinks she doesn't even know her.

"We are okay, Joy. She just got promoted too and she's busy."

"Busy with what? With her pretty co-worker that always asks her to be her DD whenever they are out?"

Irene glared at her. "She's just nice, Joy. She's always been."

Joy walked to the table to pour herself a glass of red.
"I'm just saying.. Rene. She's attractive, I'll give her that. But that face and is also loyal? I don't buy it."

Irene crossed her arms on her chest.
"You don't have to, Joy. I love her and we are good."

"Fine."

Paris 2018

"Hey babe, we will have a team building on Memorial Day. We'll be in an island without signal but I'll find a way to call, okay?"

Memorial Day is in a week and her girlfriend just told her she'll be MIA in God knows where.

"Why am I just finding it out?"