1.

Alfie

I wish she could hear all the words I was too afraid to say.

She was mysterious and fascinating all at the same time, and this scared me. Not because of who she was, but what she could do to me. This strange power she held over me, without even being he slightest bit aware. She was ever so breath-taking. She couldn't possibly know just how beautiful she was, how beautiful she was to me.

Do you know that odd feeling when you're just then thinking about something, or someone, and suddenly that word pops up in a song, or in a conversation?

Or they appear in person?

I'm usually thinking about Gabriella Beauvais. I just can't help it. Whether it's the certain shade of a flower, or a particular slow song, something always manages to remind me of her. Of her fair, honey-coloured hair. Of her infectious, yet rather rare, smile. Of her soft, irresistible skin.

The flower shop was empty. Not a customer was in sight. The radio was turned up quite loud - just how I liked it. This song was playing. It was slow, but rather upbeat, like one of those songs you hold a lighter up to the skies to. It was indie, I guess, and I quite liked it.

Stood behind the counter, with no company but the voices in the radio, I started to sway, closing my eyes. Tapping the pen I held in my hand on the counter, I really got into it. I could of jumped onto the counter, if I hadn't heard the bell to the shop ring.

And suddenly I felt my heart stop.

Alone in the doorway, was an angel.

Tucking her blonde locks behind an ear, she proceeded to walk around, running her hands across the colourful array of lilies and tulips. She didn't notice me, simply immersed in all the beauty - as I was.

The song was still on full blast, and I would of turned it down, if I hadn't heard her next words.

"I love this song" she muttered, bopping her head along to the drumbeat.

"It's great isn't it?" I contributed, eager to capture her attention.

The girl jumped slightly, and turned to face me, her cheeks stained pink with embarrassment.

"Oh, sorry I didn't see you there" she spoke, in a small voice. Looking at the ground, she started to shuffle her feet, slightly.

"No, don't apologise, please" I quickly assured her. Turning the volume down, I continued. "I actually just discovered it. What's it called?"

She made her way over to the counter where I stood, and picked up the pen I had only seconds before been using as a drumstick. She held it up as if to ask if I minded, and I shook my head, telling her I didn't.

"Um, do you want me to write it on a notepad or . . . " she trailed off, searching the area. I held out my hand, instead.

"Here, just write on me. I don't mind" I smiled, shrugging. A flood of red rushed to her cheeks, as she tentatively reached out for my wrist.

I shuddered under her touch. Rather than watching the pen glide across my skin, I looked into her dark blue eyes. They held so much warmth, yet so much concern. I wondered why.

I didn't realise she had let go until she glanced up at me, then quickly looked away, fascinated with the gift boxes.

I held my hand up to my eye level, and read the words she had so neatly inked on to my skin.

Ed Sheeran - Photograph

"Of course" I stated, smirking.

The girl had started to wander off again, browsing around the potted plants.

"So, you're Gabriella Beauvais, right?" I asked her. It wasn't really a question, I knew who she was. I'd had a crush on her since seventh grade. "We go . . . we went to school together. We had English third period."

She turned to look at me, clearly surprised I knew who she was. She couldn't keep the smile off her face. And that put one on mine.

"Yeah, we did. You're Alfie, aren't you?" I nodded. "I sat a few rows in front of you, in Mr Goodyear's class, didn't I?"

I nodded again. I knew all of this, as I spent the whole of senior year gazing at her across the classroom.

She smiled, and picked out a flower, holding it to her nose. It was a white rose. It's beauty paled in comparison to Gabriella's.

"How do you feel, now that we've graduated?"

She shrugged, and pondered her answer. And I didn't mind waiting - I was hanging on her every word.

"It's okay, I guess" she sighed. "It doesn't feel like we've graduated from anything yet - we still have college."

That was a fair answer, we still have another four years of college to look forward to. Well, I didn't. College meant money, and that was something I was rather short on at the moment.

"Where are you considering going?"

Gabriella swallowed, and I realised she was uncomfortable. Feeling bad, I was about to apologise, when she answered.

"NYU, I think" she replied. Walking over to the counter again, she began to flip through the selections book on the top. She was browsing through all the bouquets, considering each with great care.

"Would you like to order some flowers?" I inquired, suddenly realising that I had a job to do.

She smiled, and nodded.

"Is there a particular price range you are limited to?" She looked a little offended, about what I was asking, and I was quick to mend that.

"I mean, the bouquets are listed by price range. If you're looking for expensive and extravagant bunches, they're at the front. The more reserved, and reasonable ones are near the back."

Shyly, she turned to the back. I instantly felt guilty, seeing the crimson stain her cheeks again.

After a long and deafening silence, she picked one. A sad looking bunch of yellow tulips.

"Okay, and where's the address?"

She looked down at her hands, as a few golden strands fell into her face.

"Um . . . 26 McKinley Way."

Writing it down on a slip of paper, I then moved onto other details.

"Cool. And the name of your recipient?"

She looked embarrassed again.

"Are they for a crush, because don't worry, I won't say a thing" I told her, through gritted teeth and tight lips.

"No, no, they're uh . . . uh they're for me."

Tilting my head, I figured there was a story to this.

"They're a graduation present, from my parents" she explained, quietly. "Except, they forgot. So they gave me the money and told me to get myself some."

"Ah."

I think she could sense the judgement in my tone, and was quick to defend the people who made her buy her own flowers for graduating from high school. Why would she bother?

"I mean, it's okay. We're going out for dinner to celebrate later. So, it's okay."

"I'm happy to hear it" I said, smiling warmly. "You only graduate from high school once, right?"

She released the first laugh I'd ever heard from her. A grin burst upon my face, and goosebumps covered my body.

"Well, Gabriella, I'll drop these round to you later on" I promised. She smiled at me, a silent thank you, and went to the door.

As she took one step out, she looked back at me.

"Call me Ella. All my friends do, at least, if I had friends."

And she smiled the warmest and the brightest I'd ever seen anyone so broken smile before.