Starter Roads

Monty.

My heartbeat rang in my ears as I sat in the locker room. Our school football game was about to start, and we were fighting some pretty tough competition. Those kids beat us last year. Only because of me, though. And my team still hasn't let me have a break from all of that.
"Hey, you gonna go home and throw up?" Clark teased, elbowing me in the ribs. I pushed him to the side.
"Yeah, gator, gonna go sleep it off?" Maverick piped in after, but I tuned them out.
"Dude, he doesn't deserve the gator nickname." My friend Roule spoke up. I smiled for a moment.
"He deserves GAYtor." Roule spoke again. The whole team quickly burst into laughter, causing me to get a few good slaps on the back from all my friends.
"Come on, that was a year ago. Nobody even remembers us losing." I groaned, massaging the sides of my head with my fingers.
"NOBODY remembers?" Trevor yelled out, flabbergasted.
"EVERYBODY still doubts us because of last year. Because we LOST." Trevor continued on, before being promptly slapped on the back again by Blake.
"Oh, SHUT UP. We still played well." Blake said.
"MONTY, you better win for us." Phil scowled, putting his shirt inside of his locker.
"Dude, the games about to start!" Shawn spoke up, slamming his locker shut as he ran for the door. Adam followed him, rambling quietly about his pathetic worries. Jackson followed a BIT TOO closely behind Shawn, placing his hands on his shoulders.
I stood up.
"Hurry up, Gator." Maverick pushed me from behind, and I started running.
"My name is MONTY, not gator."

The (smaller than average) stadium was loud, and I barely saw anyone I could truly recognize. A lot of people came with their friends from out of school, and a lot of the people there were supporting the other team.
The game started.
We VERY QUICKLY were down 0-3. Stupid field goal. Maverick shouted something about keeping up my A game at me, but I couldn't hear him. I was focused on two people in the crowd. They were both trying to talk to eachother over the noise, and were in the front row. Like, the frontest front row. I only know one of their names, and it's Wilbur. William? Will. Will. Will is in my English class. I read off of his papers for answers sometimes. The other one is blonde. We made eye contact. He quickly broke that contact, and cupped his hand to Wills ear, talking. Will snickered, I think. It's hard to tell. Focus! The game. the game is about to start again.
Something inside me. It told me to be a little baby boy show off. So, I did. The game started, and of course, I somehow had the football. I RAN Like holy hell, and scored a touchdown. 6-3. During my short celebration, and my getting very violently slapped on the back by my team, I shot a glance over at the guys in the front row. The blonde one was focused on a different man, but Will was looking at me. I shot him a little finger gun motion and a wink. He noticed, I think. He just smiled, and did a dismissive hand motion as his he was saying "Oh, staaawp!" I let out a girly little giggle and turned away, walking back to my position.
It's pointless to recount what else happened. We won! Simple as that.
While I was getting dressed in the locker rooms, I heard a voice behind me.
"Hey." Roule said. I jumped out of my skin, looking behind me. But I quickly calmed down to see Roule.
"Oh! Roule. What's up?" I asked, slipping my letterman jacket over my black t shirt.
"Dude, Are you gay?" Roule asked, clenching his fist to his chest.
"What? No." I responded quickly, peering over my shoulder.
"I saw you winking at that emo kid." Roule replied, almost hostile.
"Pfft, what? No. I was winking at that hot babe above him!" I quickly made up a lie. Although, there WAS a hot babe above them. I just wasn't interested. I'm not gay, though.
"Sick, dude! Sad she didn't wink back." Roule laughed at me.
"Yeah, really sad." I responded somberly.
"Very."
"..."
"Ok, well, I'm gonna go now. Bye, Roule!" I piped up, heading for the door.
"Seeya, GAYtor." Roule snickered, turning away.

On my way out, I was staring down at my phone. Typing a text to Roule. But I quickly rammed into somebody.
"Watch it!-" I cut myself off, looking up at the emo being.
"Will?"
"Maxwell." He responded.

"Oh! Hey!- Whats uh, what's up?" I quickly put one hand on the wall to my right, leaning on it. Trying to seem cool.
"Nothing! Nothing at all." Will chortled a little, before his blonde friend spoke.
"I saw you showing off, you little jock. Will thought it was cute." The blonde giggled, covering their mouth with their hand. The blonde adorned an aviator jacket. I guess he didn't wanna dress up.
"Shut up, Riley, I told you not to say anything!" Will spoke through clenched teeth. I felt my face grow warm.
"Oh! You— you uh, noticed? I uh, dunno, i just felt like showing off." I shrugged, trying to seem cool.
"You were? How cliche, the jock being a show off." Riley snickered again.
"Be nice, Riley. Hey, you're in my English class, right?" Will asked, rubbing his shirt with his hand.
"Oh! Yeah, I uh, sit infront of you. Oh, and uh, I like your piercings. Where'd you get them?" I chuckled a bit, scratching at my neck.
"At your moms house." Riley stifled a laugh while speaking.
"Riley, I swear to god— Claire's. I got them at Claire's, obviously." Will chortled again.
"Nah, I'm just kidding. I don't remember. Riley bought them for me." Will spoke again, pointing to Riley as he said his name.
"Oh, cool." I checked the time, my eyes widening.
"Oh, shit dude! Im gonna be late Home. Gotta be home by a certain time, Y'Know? Nice running into you, Will, was it?" I spoke, pocketing my phone.
"Yeah, it's Will. Nice running into you too." Will smiled, looking over to Riley for a moment.
"Oh, once last thing, Maxwell, Will wanted to give you this." Riley pulled out a small slip of paper.
"RILEY!- I did NOT." Will tried to fight it out of Riley's hands, but failed. I took it from Riley, and looked at it.
A number.
lol will wanted your number but didn't want to ask so here's his
(###)-###-####
I stared at it. When I looked back up, Will was GONE. Bro ran for the hills. In his place, Riley stood.
"Yeah, he wants to talk to you again. Seeya, little jock man." Riley waved me off as he turned away. I stared at the number some more. I felt my face growing warm once more. I clutched the number to my chest, inhaling, as I put it in my pocket.
And from there, I started my walk home.

Wordcount: 1179