New Opportunities

Pairings: Tangerine x gn!nurse!Reader

Tags/Warnings: blood, wounds, language & cussing, mention of guns, mentions of stabbing, some mentions of medical tools and practices.

Word Count: 3.9K

Summary: You are a nurse at a residency near Kyoto, Tokyo. You had been called in to go to the wreck of a bullet train that smashed through a wall into a city. On your way, you spot two men walking on a road looking disheveled. You patch Tangerine up, and he offers you a job working for him and Lemon.

************************************************************************

"What do you think really happened to make that train go off the rails like that?" asked your coworker who was sitting in the passenger seat of the car as he reached to turn down the volume of the radio. You had purposely had it up a little louder to deter him from striking up a conversation – and it had lasted for about fifteen minutes.

You shrug before letting out a dry, "I don't know." It had been a long day already. You had finally made it home before you had been called out to the wreckage of a bullet train that had evidently not stopped at its last destination and instead crashed through a wall and into a village outside of Kyoto.

You watch Elijah out of the corner of your eye, readjust awkwardly and turn his eyes to the side of the road. You didn't mean to come off as rude to him, the tall brunette sitting in the front seat next to you. He was your coworker, but he also was your friend you had known since Freshman year at university. And now you both were in Tokyo for a medical residency at a fairly high-end hospital.

"What do you think happened? You have some wild theory, yeah?" You ask him, trying to soften the blow of your previous response. You didn't mean to turn him down – you were just tired.

"I mean don't you think it's kind of weird? Like. They are so well designed and operated. Why would one just–" Elijah stopped mid sentenced and dramatically pointed in front of the car, "PULL OVER!!"

You notice the two men a few seconds after Elijah does. You weren't even that close to them and you could still tell that they seemed badly injured. The taller of the two had an arm of the second man draped around his shoulder. The shorter man with longer hair seemed to be limping along. Even from where you sat behind the wheel, you could tell both men were heavily disheveled, wet, exhausted and bloodied – neither one of them looked very good.

You quickly pull over behind them as they turn to face the car. Elijah doesn't even wait for you to fully come to a stop before jumping out of the car and then racing to the back seat to grab his medical kit and quickly walking to the men. You can't hear what he is saying, but you know he's already introduced himself and has probably already begun evaluating them.

Once you put the car in park, you follow Elijah's hasty lead and grab your own bag and go to turn around and almost run into one of the men. You stop in your tracks as you come face to face with the man who was previously limping alongside the road.

"Your friend there sent me over here to be checked out. He thinks I ought to sit down while you do your thing." He says, standing there and staring at you – waiting for some sort of direction. You notice how his hair is beginning to curl at the ends, probably from it drying from being wet. It reminds you of the tail feathers of a duck.

"Yeah, sure. Let's set you down here." You say as you move out of the frame of the car door and motion for him to sit down on the backseat of the car. He gives you a look up and down with his eyebrows held low over his eyes before he complies. While you could tell he was trying to act normal, you could see he was in pain. As he went to sit down, you watched as his body almost stiffened, preparing for the commitment of sitting down and the moment his hand grabs onto the seat, it's almost like he just melts into the seat of your car with a muttered "bloody fuckin' hell." under his breath.