Chapter 1: Party

Thanks to Thescarydaughter for the wonderful cover :3

***

I grab my hair ornament and hurriedly put it in my silver hair. It ends up sticking up. I sigh and pull it out of my hair. I wonder if I should just leave my hair down.

I feel a warm hand on mine. I turn my head and find the kind face of my mother. She takes the hair ornament from my hand and skilfully puts it in my hair.

"You look beautiful," she says, her voice filled with pride. She hugs me and starts to cry tears of joy. "You better hurry. The party will start soon," she leads me down the halls of our estate.

The party is lively and cheerful. Many beautiful girls dance around the room. Mother and Father talk with their friends and I'm left by myself, sitting alone.

I notice a guy about a year older than me sitting in the corner. His clothing isn't as fancy as most of the people that are here, but he does look good.

I turn my attention back to the dancers. I soon become lost in my thoughts. I've never actually seen that man. Also his clothes are very fancy. Maybe he snuck in. Nah... I doubt that.

I look back to where he was standing, but he's not there. Where di-... a young male's voice cuts into my thoughts. "Who ya lookin for?"

I jump a bit and snap my head around. It takes me a second to realize who person I was staring at. He has a wide and mischievous grin. It's the guy from before. I jump away from him.

"Sorry to scare you, Lady Shimoariku," he says in a kind voice, but I don't really think he means it. He bows which I can tell is fake too. "Don't say or do something if it's fake," I try not to glare at him, but I can't help myself.

"What are you talking about, this is completely real" his expression stays the same. He's really making me mad...
"OH COURSE IT WASN'T REAL!" I hiss in a loud voice. Some of the guest start to stare at me. Oops...

I look at them and wave, nervously. I turn back to the idiotic guy, but he's gone. Again? I pout a bit.

The ladies dancing look at me sitting quietly and alone. "M'Lady, would you like to dance?" one asks. I smile and nod.

I dance along with the women. I love to dance. I'm not bragging or anything, but I am a good dancer. I smile as I dance and many guest watch with interest.

***

The boy is sitting in the shadows, but seems to be enjoying the party. He isn't here for Shimoariku's birthday celebration. He's here on a mission. To watch her parents.

Of course it's normal for a teenager to slack off. He watches Shimoariku dance around. She may be a pampered little girl, but she seems to have a kind heart.

He wonders how she is suspected of murder. He smiles at her dancing. Maybe she's not guilty...