1

Boom! All his books scatter on the floor. I bend down to help retrieve them but he shoves me out of the way. " Watch where you're going ya twat!" Great! My first day at my new school and already I've bumped into three people on my way to first period. When he looks at me he does  a double take. " Oh sorry 'bout that mate."
"Sorry about your books."
"That's quite okay." He lifts the rest of his books from the floor and places them in the crook of his arm. "Where ya headed? You're that new girl, right?"
" Ummm...yeah." He looks at me expectantly as if waiting for something. "Oh, umm..," I look at the crinkled schedule in my hands. "Mr. Ezra's AP English class."
"That's right this way, c'mon I'll show ya."   I wanted to apologize for being so clutzy but that would mean explaining why I was here in the first place and I didn't feel like explaining my life to a stranger. "Here it is! Sure is a trip, eh mate?"
"Thanks."
"No, thank you," then he leans down to kiss my hand. My cheeks flame bright red. I quickly regain my composure and scramble into class, finding a seat in the back. If I'm lucky nobody will notice me and I won't have to go through any introductions. Mr. Ezra clears his throat just then,"Good morning everybody. Before we start today I would like to show our new pupil a proper welcome to Ackworth." He gestures for me to go to the front of the class. I freeze up for a second hoping there was some other new girl I didn't know about. After a few moments I make my way to the board. "Umm...my name is Adelaide." I look at the teacher to see if I was free from the grasping stares of my new classmates. "And where are you from,Adelaide?"
" I'm from the United States. We moved here a few days ago."
"Well, welcome Adelaide. I hope you find our school a comfortable place." I walk briskly back to my seat grateful to have escaped the torturous questions. "Today we are going to turn to page 17 in our textbooks..."