Victoria G Interviews DaVinciBands

Victoria G: What inspired you to become a rapper?

DaVinciBands: My brother, K Lane. He paid for my first two hours in rapping because he said he knew I got some sh*t to talk about. I fell in love instantly.

VG: What is your favorite thing about rapping?

D: It's therapy. I can go to the studio and get everything off my chest, while finding a way to show my talent and make it a career.

VG: Who are your musical inspirations?

D: Young Thug is my favorite artist, and I feel [like] he's one of the greatest of this generation. Kodak, being that I'm from Florida and grew up on Yak, he'll always be an inspiration. Blxst and Rod Wave are two big ones that I'm inspired by. Every time I hear one of their songs, I instantly start looking for a beat.

VG: You are also a lyricist. What is your process?

D: I smoke, and I find a beat depending on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I wanna harmonize and talk about my pain, sometimes I wanna just rap and let people hear me kill the beat. But, once I lock in on the beat, it just feels like I'm translating the beat into English, like I can speak another language.

VG: What messages are important for you to express through your music?

D: To fight through the pain is my main message. I may never say those exact words, but I express that I felt unbearable pain, and I kept it going. "Keep It Going" is a motto of mine that my fans from early on know very well. It's a message that I used to post every day.

VG: Do you play any instruments?

D: I used to play the piano and the drums, really the whole percussion, but I'd probably only be able to play the drums now.

VG: What can you share about your new single, "Young Bands"?

D: It's a hit, it's catchy, and you'll wanna listen to it over and over. It's an important song to me because I made it, shot the video, and right after, I fell into a dark depression episode. It lasted for months, truth be told, it's still going. I just finally became strong enough to start releasing music again, and I made a promise to not stop.

VG: How would you describe yourself in three words?

D: Strong, Outspoken, Misunderstood

VG: Do you have any hidden talents?

D: I'm really good at football, WR specifically, but I like basketball better.

VG: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

D: A legend in the rap game. One of the greatest to touch a mic, the stage, and the pen.

VG: What are your social media handles?

D: @bandsfrmthel on all social media except Twitter, @RenaissanceDVB.

VG: What advice do you have for an aspiring rapper?

D: Never give up, and if you believe in yourself, invest in yourself.

VG: What advice do you have for an aspiring lyricist?

D: The smartest person in the room is the one who can say the most while saying the least.

VG: What's next for you?

D: I've been on my independent lane awhile, and I'm finally starting to get traction, so I've been rethinking my music career path - maybe thinking about looking into different labels.

VG: RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS What's your favorite genre of music?

D: Hip-Hop and Dancehall

VG: What is your favorite pastime?

D: Basketball

VG: Who's your favorite superhero?

D: Spider-Man and The Flash

VG: What's your favorite candy?

D: Starburst and Skittles

VG: What's your favorite movie?

D: The Lion King

VG: What is your biggest fear?

D: Giving up.

VG: Do you have any pets?

D: Not yet, but I wanna dog and a black cat.