Outer Code: Awakening Hope

"Is that all you've got?" A cold voice mockingly asked.

Milky-white eyes with a hint of teal struggled to stay open as the man in a lab coat walked up to her.

"At this rate, you will never make it to the top of this foundation." The man simply stood there, looking down at her. "And you know what that means, don't you?"

She knew. Amane knew, so she forced herself up. The cold surface was causing her exposed skin to go numb along with the freezing air. Using her new sixth sense, she faced where she thought the cannon would be again, just as the other man got it ready.

"Fail here and you can say goodbye to this lifetime."

The cannon fired.

Amane gathered her energy and focused on trying to kick the cannon ball back. But she only managed to stop it a little before flinging it into the wall and crashed landing to the hard, surface again.

The two scientists wrote down what they saw.

"Hm... That's slightly better." The first man commented before his frown deepened. "But nowhere near good enough."

'Everything hurts.' Amane thought, having tears pricking her eyes. 'I'm so tired...' She could barely sit up to the point she needed to support the rest of her body with her shaky, fragile arms.

"Get up, Amane." The man ordered.

The blonde tried to move her legs, but when she got on her feet, she quickly fell to her knees. "I can't... do this anymore..." She croaked, feeling the burning sensation in her throat. Her throat was dry. It was burning. Amane needed something to wash it down. It had been only two months since she got her voice back, but it was still difficult to talk because of the drug's affect.

"Get. Up. Amane."

But the 10-year-old girl didn't.

The man let out a sigh. "So even the feelings you carry for your brother only amounts this much."

Amane couldn't bring herself to look up at him. She didn't even have the energy to. Besides, she was blind to begin with. Well, technically if she won't be if she used it.

The man walked over to the motionless girl, grabbed her by the hair and forced her up. "Despite that, the chairman can't have you giving up. You have the potential to be one of our best." His gaze flickered towards the body windows and smirked. "Well, what do you know? A motivation just appeared." He turned Amane's head to see it, too. "Look, girl."

Milky-white eyes glowing pinkish red, the blonde's eyes widened slightly. "B... Brother...? (N... Nii-chan...?)" Amane was lost for words. "But today is... Why is he...?"

Flashback:

"I'm sorry, Amane." The male twin apologised telepathically, the moment they were pushed into the facility.

Amane turned to him. It may sound crazy, but despite being blind, she could tell where Yuri was. If the legends about twins being connected through thoughts and feelings, then the Rodina Twins fully believed it. After all, they had gone through hell for five years straight.

After their parents died by an accident, the twins were taken by the Orion Foundation and was forced to become football players. Day by day, gruelling hours of none stop training, the pain never ends. Most kids were mentally broken down and some even died or had been turned into vegetables. The twins were one of the few who managed to keep up, but with multiple bruises and scratches all over their bodies. Even now.