Chapter 7

Present Day

"Okay, I'm not saying it's your fault, however I do feel like you jinxed us with that blind-sided comment."

Voight just raised his brows while the usual suspects either snickered or straightened but there was a noticeable smile on his lips, one that grew, albeit incredulously when Sam chimed in. "At least it wasn't Bogotá."

"Oh I couldn't do that here- the hills really give you momentum. I may have lived out one of my Fast and Furious fantasies." Tess elaborated when everyone turned to her with varying levels of intrigue, and of course mistrust, all gathered back in Intelligences bullpen to discuss the failed heist and how it impacted their case, Adam in particular lighting up at her reference.

"Did you drive through a bank??"

"No."

"She drove through a shipping container and blew up their port."

"Container ship. A very bad ship and it was the only one that blew up." She clarified before anyone's imagination could run away with them, her gut giving a sharp twist even as she returned the deputy superintendent's smirk.

She didn't think the other woman was trying to make her uncomfortable but after the roller coaster that had been the last twelve hours her tolerance levels were getting low. They shouldn't be, she'd been through far worse in far shorter time spans but Tess couldn't keep pretending like the tightrope she'd been walking for the past two months wasn't rapidly fraying and if she didn't pick a side to run to eventually she was going to fall.

"Admittedly with a very spectacular fireball." She finished with a grin, shooting it around the room before she focused back on Jay, the only calm she was finding in this storm.

Except he wasn't anymore.

"Well thankfully this latest stunt-"

"Stunt?"

She didn't know who was more surprised when he cut the superintendent off but she supposed it didn't matter when the whole room froze. He'd been fine this morning but clearly something had changed because he'd kept touching her on the drive back from Cam's, or almost touching her, and though she didn't know what had brought his anger on it was already at the point where it was getting hard for him to hold it in check.

"We wouldn't have anything on this case if it weren't for Tess and that 'stunt' saved a lot of people from getting hurt, not to mention stopped those guys from getting whatever they were after. And while she might have a-... proclivity for pyrotechnics she would never willingly put civilians in danger."

Proclivity for-

"Did you just quote Harry Potter?"

Now everyone looked to Kim and Tess had to hold back another whimper/laugh when all of Jay's righteousness suddenly halted, his eyes flicking beseechingly to hers before immediately deflating.

"We just watched the movie." She said consolingly, especially because of course she'd been the one to put it on. Fuck, this was not-

"Alright, let's-"

"You're right."

Fucking hell.

This time it was Sam cutting off Voight and that proved to be even more surprising, not so much to her as the rest of them, as apparently was the fact that though the superintendent kept her eyes firmly on Jay there wasn't any judgment in her stare; not the bad kind anyway, nothing that wasn't genuine respect and even admiration but she supposed given their history with CPD's ivory tower that was pretty unusual. But Sam wanted to be different, was different, a fact she proved by doing something Tess didn't think Voight ever had.