Chapter 1

Spring Fling

May. 29th

7-10pm

Formal attire only!

A poster addressing the annual spring dance was shoved in my face by an over-energetic spokesperson of the student council.

"Don't forget, the Spring Fling is approaching faster than you think!" she beamed, and headed over to another unsuspecting group in the halls.

"Ugh." I relayed my instant unease.

"It's not for a while, though. Maybe 3 months?" Hearth said, concentrating on not dropping all her books.

"Here, what are these books for?" I said, picking up half of the book stack and continuing to walk. "Yeah, but I'm not sure if I'm even going to go."

"No, you have to!" Hearth quickly cut in. She began to turn red because of her instant answer. "Uh, I'm in student council, meaning I'm forced to be there. I don't want to be alone! And I'm donating those-" she pointed to the stack, "to the library."

"Well.... I guess I'll go to it." I replied. She brightened, losing her embarrassment and a smile forming. "Only because I'm your best friend." Her smile lowered a bit, but she still seemed grateful of me for agreeing to go.

"Dances are rough territory for me, that's all." I explained.

"Why is that?" She questioned.

"Well..." Just tell her just tell her just tell her just tell her just tell her she's your best friend, she deserves to know that you're- "I just dislike them. Too many people, I guess."

That was a straight out lie. It was because.. Well... I was gay. How hard would it be for me to find another lesbian girl to accompany me? I just couldn't tell Hearth that yet. I wasn't sure I was ready to tell anyone, not even her. I'm sure some people suspected, but I wasn't going to confirm to them for a very long time. But I felt terrible lying to Hearth, I mean... she was my best friend since the 3rd grade. Maybe I'd call her tonight, but right now didn't seem like a good time.

"Oh, I understand. You'll be okay though?" Hearth sympathized.

"Yeah, I'm sure. As long as I'm not alone, and I'll have you." I said, my heart aching from leading on the lie that I know I couldn't live down.

My phone buzzed, and I pulled out. It was my mom.

Mom-2:45 Tuesday
Hey Amelia I'm here.

Finally. I thought.

"Hey, I gotta go. My mom's here." I said, handing the books back to Hearth.

"Ok, Skype tonight?" Hearth replied.

"Yeah, of course. See ya." I waved over my shoulder, then pushed through the school doors over to where my mother was momentarily parked.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

I was still thinking about calling Hearth, when my computer began chiming rapidly. I got of my bed and walked over. It was Hearth trying to skype. I sat down in my chair and answered.

"Hey Amelia!" She chimed. Her auburn hair pulled up into the sloppiest bun I've ever seen. She had a pencil tucked behind her ear and her oversize glasses on instead of her contacts. She never wore them in public because she thought they looked bad, but I think she looked cute in them.

"Hey, Hearth." I replied. I saw papers scattered around her desk, and in her hands. "Erm, what are you doing?"

She waved the papers around, forgetting they were in her hand. She shuffled them and stacked them as she explained. "Ah, I'm giving the school introduction to the new girl, Belle, coming to our school. I'm finishing up where I'm taking her and what I'll say."

I chuckled. Leave it to Hearth to plan everything to perfection. "Do you really need to do all that?"

"Of course I do! She needs to know that Lilian High is a good school to come to and have educated people helping to run it! Unlike you, I plan ahead for things." She smirked at the tease.

"Wow, harsh." I jokingly countered.

"Besides, Lilian High doesn't usually get new people." Hearth continued. "By the way, she's coming tomorrow. Do you want to come along to show her around the school?"

"Eh, no thanks. I'd like to meet her though, so have her swing by my homeroom, okay?"

"Yeah, of course."

A muffled voice shouted from Hearth's end. "I have to eat dinner. Text me later."

Now's my chance.

"Hey, wait, Hearth!"

"Yeah? What is it?"

Now now now now now n- "Good luck, with your school tour or whatever."

"Oh.... Ok, thanks." And she hung up.

D*** it.