Chapter 21

Even with the clatter of shoes and two soft-spoken voices, the church still sounded strangely empty.

"Now then, what did you want to talk about?"

Yuta smiled a friendly, but not wholly unguarded, smile at Felix.

"I've been thinking about your wish. And I know how to grant it." - "Do you, now? I wasn't expecting you'd come back with such confidence." - "It was easy once I understood. You want to atone and-... you want to erase your crimes from history, isn't that right?"

Yuta's smile faded fast.

His expression was chill. Felix, feeling affirmed by this, continued.

"I know just how you feel. I shouldn't be alive either, after all the people I killed. But there's no apology I can give for what I did to them. And I think if you live that way for long enough, all you'd want... is to make everything go away."

Felix wore the confident smile now. Yuta eyed him cautiously.

Then, after a moment of silence, he burst out with a laugh.

"Aha... ahahah...! I thought you and I were similar, Felix-kun, but I didn't think we shared THIS in common. You're right. When I found I'd been reborn in the 19th century, I realised I had a chance to stop the misfortune I'd caused... I just had to stay alive long enough for that time to come around again." - "That's amazing. A way to erase your sin and the guilt of your crime with it. But Yuta, did you know...?"

Felix's voice dropped to a low, soft, and tempting purr.

"We have a door that can travel through time, too. You don't have to wait for years. You can have your wish now." - "Can I? ...Oh, but if I do that and disappear, what about my helping you? Wasn't that how this all started?" - "Yeah, but this will help Lord Minho too."

At the mention of the name of Felix's sire, Yuta's eyes narrowed slightly.

"I see. First the dabbles in making historical greats kill each other, now he's asking you to toy around with history itself?" - "...You shouldn't get the wrong idea about him. The Lord didn't ask for this. It was my decision to lend you a hand. Besides, lives are saved and less people have to suffer. (Y/n) will be pleased. And she won't have to look so sad about you abandoning her and her feelings." - "...So, this plan is actually YOUR wish." - "What? No... it's yours."

Felix stared at him, uncomprehending. They were silent for a moment. Then Yuta smiled.

"I suppose there's no sense quibbling about it. In any case, it does suit me well. I was concerned that using Namjoon's door for this purpose would leave him quite distraught... when I leave this world, I should like to cause as little trouble as possible."

Yuta spun on his heel, his kimono fluttering behind him like a ribbon of night.

"Yuta? Are you leaving?" - "In my country, we say 'a bird doesn't foul the nest it's about to leave'. I need to prepare. I'll be back, Felix-kun." - "...Mhm..."

----------

Outside the church, Yuta looked up at its imposing, fortress-like architecture.

"...Felix-kun seems zealously devoted to this 'Lord Minho'."

It was indeed convenient that Felix's offer to 'help' and Yuta's true wish should align.

But what if he were to approach others like this after Yuta was gone? What if he came back for (Y/n)...?

"...Perhaps I won't leave this life 'without a trace' after all... assuming I can indeed find a way to divide the blindly loyal executioner from his tyrant king for good..."