Chapter 17

AN: This is kind of a sad chapter, but it's part of the story unfortunately...

Disclaimer: I do not own One Direction or their families. This fic is copyrighted to me. No one is allowed to translate or repost it. This fic can be found both here and on Ao3.

***

Harry rushed down the hall and into his bedroom, slamming the door behind him. He stood there for a moment, back to the door, as he let himself cry into his hands.

How did everything suddenly fall apart? Why did he have to be a good, honest person and prevent Louis from being poisoned?

Because you love him, his brain reminded.

But Louis definitely hates him now. It was obvious in the way he second guessed his feelings for Harry only a few moments ago. Harry doesn't blame him either. He would hate the person that betrayed and lied to him as well.

So the fact that Harry loves Louis is irrelevant. The king would surely have him arrested and executed as soon as possible. Which was why Harry needed to leave immediately.

He couldn't leave without explaining to Niall though. The man was his best friend and deserved to know the truth even if Harry never saw him again. As he sat at the desk to write, he could feel the strong breeze blowing in through the cracked window.

Dear Niall,

I have done something terrible and I hope you can forgive me. Before coming to Yorkshire, my parents ordered me to poison Louis once we had been married. They wanted me to be able to claim the kingdom and it's riches for Cheshire when Yorkshire's king was gone. I did not want to be any part of this plan, but as I said earlier, I was ordered. My parents told me that if I failed there would be major consequences. I had already disappointed my parents enough all my life with being more flamboyant and frilly than they wanted me to be, so I agreed. I was scared. Scared of my parents, scared of my future, and scared of myself and what I would become if I followed through.

But then I met Louis, and he made me realize that I shouldn't be scared. He helped me to believe that all of my likes, dislikes, and personality traits that my father despised were valid and okay. He loved me exactly for who I am, accepted me with his whole heart. And I love him so very much for that.

So mere moments ago when I actually considered going through with my parents' scheme, I couldn't do it. I confessed everything to him. He was angry, of course, and rightfully so. He shouted some hurtful things at me, but I deserved them.

I know I can't stay here any longer lest Louis tell the guards and I be guillotined at dawn, or my parents find out I defied them and they disown me, so I'm running away. I plan to take Olivia and get a head-start on horseback. Then, when I feel like I'm far enough away that I can't be easily found, I'll send her home. I can't steal her when I know how much she means to the Tomlinsons.

I'm so sorry for not telling you all of this before, but I just felt like I couldn't and that you wouldn't understand. Maybe it was my subconscious thinking that you would tell me I was being stupid for obeying my parents, and deep down I knew you would've been right. The stupid part of me just didn't want to hear it. You will always be my best friend and brother, Niall. I love you and wish you and Liam all the best for your future.

Also, please burn this note once you've read it so that when the authorities come after me they won't be able to find me.

Harry

Harry blinked furiously in an attempt to hold his tears in as he stood from the desk. Feeling like the letter already took him too long, he decided he didn't have time to pack anything to take with him. He quickly threw on some shoes and ran out the door with only the clothes on his back and the gift from Louis around his neck.