prologue: moonlight

the night before tord left, you both lay on his bed and talked for hours.

"i always admired the way you stood up for what you wanted." he said, staring at the ceiling.

"yeah? i always thought your inventions were super clever." you said, staring at him.

the moonlight was hitting his face in the perfect places, glinting off his cheeks and his light grey eyes, coating the entire room in silver. it took an immense amount of self control to keep yourself from crying. reaching out, you swept a lock of hair away from his face.

he turned to you, eyes flitting from your hair to your lips to your eyes.

"do you really have to go?" you asked, voice soft. tord just nodded, his eyes looking down at your mouth again. you stared at each other for a few moments, before he slowly moved to where he was leaning over you, one arm next to your head, the other nearer to your chest. you shifted up to lean on your elbows, eyes locked on his. he was not a very emotional man, never had been, but he had the softest look on his face.

the ensuing kiss was soft, and you moved your arm up to wrap your fingers in his hair. tord tilted his head a bit, and you pressed your chest up against his, the two of you entwining closer until it was less a kiss and more a final, desperate measure to keep him from leaving you. you pulled away to tuck your face into his neck, out of breath, and you felt him pull you tighter into an embrace.

you laid together until you fell asleep. when you woke up, the bed was cold.