we fight as one

They walked side by side down the dirt path, making sure to have their ears open for any incoming vehicles. It was a pretty quiet walk, with only the calming sounds of singing birds to fill the silence. Daryl was left twiddling his fingers as a question burrowed its way into his mind.

The question was dumb and he never thought that he would be thinking this way. But now that everything had become confusing with Rick, he had to wonder. "Aye, what are we?" Daryl chimed up with the repeating question. Were they friends with benefits, lovers, or just friends?

"I dunno," Rick answered, figuring they couldn't go back to being friends and act as if nothing happened between them. Friends with benefits was out of the question as well, so that only left one other alternative.

"Maybe we could take it to the next step." The redneck suggested vaguely. Rick was actually surprised by the forwardness of his traveling companion. "Like a couple?" Rick asked curiously. Hearing those three words come out of the sheriff's mouth made Daryl regret asking.

"Nah forget it, it was a dumb idea—" "I like it." Rick interrupted. Daryl met the sheriff's gaze with a somewhat delighted look on his face. The redneck wasn't too good at showing his emotions but at that moment Rick could see a genuine happy sparkle in his eyes.

Rick and Daryl arrived back at the hilltop after what felt like two lifetimes' worth of walking. Once they entered past the giant man made gates, they were swarmed by concerned group members. Some thought they had disappeared for good, and others figured something must have happened for them to just take off like that.

Daryl was able to slip away, not liking all the attention drawn to him. He went back to the small room he had slept in a day prior, wanting to rest his aching legs even if it was only for a moment. An hour or so passed and he could hear the trucks roaring engines starting up. He was kind of disappointed that Rick hadn't come back to say goodbye.

Though it made him sad, he was confident that Rick would return to the hilltop in one piece shortly after the war began. He held on to that small glimmer of hope that he would not be forgotten. Daryl climbed out of bed and headed towards the exit with a cigarette pack and a lighter in hand.

Once outside he could hear the loud roaring of various trucks getting ready to head back to Alexandra. He flicked open the lighter and lit a small flame that elegantly danced in the wind. He held the flame up to the cigarette and lit the tip of the stick. Smoke flew from his mouth as footsteps approached him from behind.

"I was wonderin' where you ran off to." The sheriff spoke up catching Daryl's attention. Their eyes met for a split second before Daryl broke away. He took the cigarette between his two fingers and blew a puff of smoke into the air.

"I guess this is it," Rick uttered. Though he would only be gone for a few days, they both knew there was no guarantee that he would return unharmed. Daryl felt his heart being squeezed inside his chest. It wasn't easy to say goodbye after only spending the last two days together. He wished they had more time.

"Promise me, promise you'll come back," Daryl asked, turning his body to face the sheriff. Dying wasn't an option for Rick, there was no way in hell he'd drop dead, not after all the planning that went into this one operation. He wouldn't be dying so soon.

"I promise." He said in an optimistic sounding tone. Giving the shimmer of hope that he would eventually return. Maybe not tomorrow, or the next day, but sometime, somehow, he would make it back to the hilltop. Daryl took a step forwards and placed a small peck on the other's lips as a parting gift.

"You better." The redneck said before quickly pulling him back in. The parting kiss was sweet as they said their final goodbyes to one another. There was a moment when Rick began questioning why he was doing this, they were in plain sight of anyone who walked by so Rick broke the kiss soon after.

"What if someone saw us?" Rick questioned, with so many wandering eyes about, it wasn't unlikely that they were spotted together. "Let 'em see, were a couple now ain't we?" Daryl said with a small smile imprinted on his lips. Rick gave him a soft smile in return, he wasn't wrong about that.

"Well, I best be gettin' back," Rick said, though he was sad to depart from his newfound love, this was something he needed to do. This mission could be the beginning of a new future, a future where they lived happily ever after.

As Rick walked away the redneck's heart ached, in this cruel unforgiving world he thought he would never learn to love again. But the truth was that the person that he had been traveling with since the beginning was just that. His one true love was walking alongside him since day one.

About ten feet away Rick came to a sudden stop. "Oh, and Daryl." The sheriff called out, turning to face the redneck for the last time before boarding the awaiting truck. There was a moment of hesitation before he shouted four small words that meant so much more.

"I love you too."