Prologue

Blake –Nineteen years old—

"Blake, please," Chloe begged.

"No," I coldly said; I almost didn't recognize my own tone. "This is your mess; deal with it yourself. I'd remind you to be fucking careful, Chloe, and what did you do? You ignored me and let your drunkard state take control. And now, you have to take responsibility for your own action. I don't give a shit your family is the most prestigious in the state, and they have a reputation to hold. You should've known that before you let those juices swim in your lungs and control your brain." I wanted to say her libido, but my kind part was still there. The angel side of mine still telling me to hold back.

Why?

Because this woman was fucking pregnant.

With who?

Our best fucking friend. If I still could call him my best friend. A best friend who was known never refused a being with tits to sleep with him. What made it worse, both of them were drunk. I was there. I saw how they made out like fucking teenagers. I tried to save them. I tried to warn them. What did I get? Shut the hell up; I'm a grown-up woman. I know what I'm doing that kind of shit. Oh, yes, they did know what they were doing. Only they forgot the result of their action.

Look at what happened.

Chloe was panicking because she found out she was pregnant. Her parents wouldn't approve of it. Not when Chloe let them take over her life. Her family with Taylor's had never been in a good term. See how twisted fate was? This was what they would get. A child with Taylor's DNA. Fate had always been the sadistic motherfucker. Just like how fate screwed my life when they chose my mother to be the vessel for me to be in this lifetime.

"Only you can help me, Blake," she cried. "My parents said if I wouldn't tell them who the father is, they would forcefully abort it."

"Are you not going to abort it?" I asked.

"No!" she immediately said. "My baby might be an accident, but I would never kill innocent life. This is my mess. This is me taking responsibility."

"Oh, really?" I dramatically scoffed. "You mean by forcing me to be the father of your child?"

"I'd tried to ask Taylor, Blake. I fucking tried, but Taylor didn't want to. He...ran. He was scared of his family." Fucking piece of shit. So much from a friend, huh?

I sighed. "Chloe, I love you, okay. I really do. But I can't save everybody. This isn't my problem. I can support you while you're pregnant until you give birth. But I will never be the father of your child with Taylor. Christ, look at me. I'm nowhere near a father's quality." I hated my own father. Look what he did before he died, only sending me his money to forgive him. I refused to take it. I could use it to support Chloe if her parents wouldn't give any penny to her.

"I think you're going to be a great father. The child doesn't need to know who her real father is. You...can be him." She had to be fucking kidding me. Didn't she forget how I resent my father? Chloe was there when I received the news my father was passed, and I gained some inheritance from him.

"I don't want it, Chloe. I've decided never to want a child. A broken child like me is not allowed to have a child of my own. I'm deluded if I even think of settling down with someone and having my own family. That's the stupidest dream. Just," I paused and pushed my hair with both hands. I looked away. "Just go home, Chloe. You're an adult now. You can decide whatever you want. I know how horrible your family treated you. But it's up to you whether you want to let them control you, or you can choose the life you want—the life you deserve. Remember your dream, Chloe. Your dream to be a publicist. You never liked accounting. Hell, I never thought you would choose that road. I've known you since high school. I fucking laughed when you said you wanted to be an accountant like your mother. That is so not you. Take a risk for one fucking time. You already did with the baby. You can do it again."