Noah's Ark [boyxboy]

ALISTAIR POV

                I sighed. My mind drifted off, shutting out the jargon from the people at the meeting. I was only there for my father. I hated to disappoint him, but it was inevitable, as I do not like the trading business nor do I want any part of it. I do not wish for such activities to be imposed upon my person. At last, the meeting came to an end and the crowd dispersed.

                I stood and straightened out my suit. My father approached me and put something in my hands. I shoved the slips of paper in the pocket of my trousers without a glance at them.

                “I see you do not like the trading business. I was hoping you would take over,” my father said, with amusement in his voice.

                “I see not what is so funny about it. Do not look so jolly, old man.”

                He chuckled. “Do not show such contempt, Ally. I understand. I just want you to be happy with whatever occupation you may choose.”

                “The name is Alistair,” I drew out. However, my heart soared at my father’s words. “I do not yet have any knowledge of what I’d like to do.” I sighed again,

                “As long as you’re happy, your occupation matters not to me. You could be a peasant working in the fields and I would still support your decision. Sebastian may take over the company.”

                I smiled at his retreating back. Yes, Sebastian will do just fine. In one year he will be of age. At 17 years, Sebastian already has his mind focused on the trading business. I envy him for that. My future is yet unclear. I left the building without a backward glance. Each day, I hoped I would never have to go back there.

                When I got home, I went straight to my room. My father’s trading business was very successful so our manor was one of the biggest, not just in the area, but in all of London. Remembering the slips of paper, I took them out. Noah’s Ark Circus, it read. A circus? My father gave me tickets to a circus!? That old bat! I’d have to thank him somehow. He always knows when I need to get away. I love my old man.

                Interesting, I thought, as I changed my clothes. The circus would start in a couple hours, giving me enough time to get there. It would be an hour’s ride from the manor to the circus.

                “Tanaka!” I called out. Tanaka is our Japanese butler, and my confidante. I trusted him like no other.

                “Yes, my lord.” I turned to him. Tanaka was now a middle aged man. He has been with that family since I was seven.  He has sleek, black hair on his head and is of average height. He was fairly good-looking and received many offers but he was forever loyal to the household.

                “Come with me to this circus.” I showed him the tickets. He smiled knowingly and nodded.

“Whenever you’re ready, Young Master.”

*~*~*~*~*~

The ride was long but peaceful. I always enjoyed travelling. Though I hate the trading business, I always offered to deliver messages to faraway lords just so I could travel.

I got out and thanked the footman for the ride. It was a small thing I got used to doing. I never saw servants as people inferior to us wealthy people. To me, people are simply people and I judge them based on their personalities and not the amount of money they have or how big their home is.