12. We Are Here Now [Part 5]

In 2022, Eddie didn't mince words when talking about the glam rock band; Mötely Crüe.

"You know, I was working in San Diego, setting up equipment in clubs. I would end up at shows that I wouldn't have chosen to go to, bands that were hogging MTV in the late 80s. Metal bands that, I try to be nice, I despised. Girls, Girls, Girls by Mötley Crüe."

I hated it. I hated how it made men look, and I hated how it made women look. It was so empty. Then Guns N' Roses came along and, thank God, at least had some bite.

Let me just say that one thing I did like during that time , though, was that in Seattle and the alternative crowd, girls could wear combat boots and sweaters, and their hair looked like Cat Power's and not Heather Locklear's. I have nothing against her.

They didn't have to disrespect each other. They could have an opinion and be respected. I think that's a change that has endured. It seems so commonplace now, but before that it was bustiers..."

The Mötley Crüe bassist and songwriter then reacted on Twitter.

"I laughed today when I read how much the singer of Pearl Jam hated @MotleyCrue. Knowing that they are one of the most boring bands in history, that's kind of a compliment, isn't it?"

Eddie then posted;"We love our bored fans."

But this little fextweet between Nikki Sixx and Eddie on the social network, was minor compared to the conflicts with Kurt Cobain. It was pretty childish and funny at the same time. Long live social media! I miss the 90's.

Before Pearl Jam, Stone and Jeff were in the band Mother Love Bone with their friend and leader; Andrew Wood. There were also former members of the band Green River, who I didn't know by name or by their music. And I confess that I was never curious to discover it even a little. They then had the huge chance to create a serious buzz, signing a contract with PolyGram, which made some local bands jealous.

Rivalry has always existed even in underground music. Everyone wanted to be noticed by a famous record company. Playing your music in local bars or on the street, no one dreamed of it. It's just to survive, wishing that fate would finally come knocking at your door. Those who claimed otherwise were just hypocritical liars.

In early 1990, their first album, which was called; Apple, was ready to be released. And Andrew Wood tragically died of an overdose at the age of 24, on March 19th of the same year.

Nevertheless, in July 1990, the album was released and received quite favorable reviews. It was for the other members, both a sweet moment as the music critics had been rather complimentary about; Apple. And very bitter because they were devastated by the death of their friend, thinking that it was all over. Their time for a little fame had been fleeting.

After his death, the remaining members felt lost with no real plans. One night, Stone met the radio disc jockey, KISW, whose name was Damon Stewart. It was at a local pub called The Oxford Tavern in Seattle. He then asked him what he was doing, answering that he was writing a little, just hanging out. The two then headed to another bar and, outside, ran into an old friend of Stone's, a guitarist named Mike McCready. They then spent the night talking over beers before Mike convinced Stone to reconnect with Jeff.

The guys found themselves starting a new band, which meant they had reached the point where they had to replace their late friend. The rest, you know.

Stone and Jeff told it together after we all descended rickety steps to their famous basement that was about 30 feet by 30 feet. The water pipes were still exposed and hanging from the ceiling, which didn't surprise them, looking at them with amused and slightly nostalgic expressions. I looked at the unsanitary place in an almost bemused way as if I had visited a museum that had displayed relics.