Chapter 4: Used

Hotch hadn't expected Reid to skip out on the entire day of work. Actually he hadn't expected Reid to be that angry and hostile. Never in all his time working with the young agent had he ever seen him express that much hatred and anger at someone, especially a team mate. It was the next morning when Reid came marching through the bull pen did Hotch notice something was not just off about him, but also very disturbing. Yes he had noticed Reid was a complete mess yesterday but it was worse. Reid was wearing the old brown cardigan, his tie wasn't done up, his hair was slightly greasy, hanging in his face and he had his glasses on. In turn his glasses made his blood shot eyes stand out more, as well as the dark circles. The file in Hotch's hand slipped through his fingers and fell lamely to the floor.

Reid was trying to make it to his desk as quickly as possible, his eyes were stinging and he felt very gross. Charlie had refused to let him wash his hair and she dressed him that morning, talk about extremely awkward. He tried to tell her he didn't like how close she got to him and she would just ignore him and continue what she was doing. She was an odd person, but he knew he could trust her.

"Reid!" Hotch shouted across the bullpen. Reid's eyes snapped up from the floor and into the angry eyes of his boss.

"My office, now." Hotch ordered. Reid's shoulders slumped; he really wasn't in the mood to apologize to anyone right now, especially people he didn't trust! He shuffled his way into Hotch's office dreading it every step.

"Sit." He commanded and Reid did as he was asked. They were now facing each other from across the wide expanse of Hotch's desk.

"Yelling at colleagues for no specific reason is not okay," Hotch began and Reid was about to defend himself but Hotch held his hand up, "I realize you are hurt and angry that JJ, Emily and I hid the fact that Emily was alive from you, but that doesn't give you a reason to be disrespectful." Hotch told him. Reid however was busy looking at his hands, which were still shaking from the lack of caffeine, which he'd need soon to keep up appearances of him getting high.

"You will apologize to JJ and there will be no more outbursts like that in the office. Am I understood?" Reid had his head down still and hadn't answered, he was pretending to zone out of the conversation.

"Spencer Reid! Am I understood?" Hotch snapped.

"Yes sir." Reid said quietly and looked at Hotch with bloodshot eyes. It was easy to make them bloodshot, all Charlie had to do was but water drops in them and then let his eyes dry out by blowing a hair dryer into them. He had hated every minute of it.

"You may leave now." Reid quietly got up and made his way back to his desk. It angered him how his team mates were giving him wary looks. The only person he wasn't mad at was Morgan, yet he felt like he should be mad at him because he was mad at everyone else. He really just didn't want to be there. He slumped down into his desk chair once he got to his desk. He didn't even notice Morgan stand up and walk over to him.

"Hey kid." Reid looked up; he wasn't in the mood to talk about his problems. 'Please just go away, Morgan' Reid thought.

"What was all that yesterday?" Morgan asked timidly.

"Nothing." Reid answered quickly. He then picked up his mug and went to get coffee from the small kitchen. Morgan followed him mush to his displeasure.

"You yelling at Hotch and JJ weren't 'nothing' Reid."

"They deserved it." Reid muttered under his breath. Morgan was taken aback upon hearing it. He wasn't even sure Reid said those words.

"What did you just say?" Morgan questioned. Reid looked up at the older agent. He noticed that his eyes were drawn together and he was studying him.

"I said that they deserved it!" Reid emphasized, slamming his hand down on the table.

"Why would you say that?"

"It doesn't matter. I have to go apologize to Jennifer." Reid muttered and walked off the JJ's office where he faked a very heartfelt apology.

Hotch was watching as Reid walked to JJ's office. He knew exactly what was wrong with Reid yet he didn't want to admit it. He didn't even want to think of the possibility that Reid was using again. Sadly he was the team leader and he had to make assumptions like that. He would give Reid two weeks to get himself back together and if he didn't, Hotch would have to suspend him or worse.