✖ But I can make this promise (you won't be alone) ✖

┏━━━•❃°•°❀°•°❃••❃°•°❀°•°❃•━━━┓

A/N: Yang goes through 4 out of the 5 stages of grief.

Spoilers for V9 chapter 8.

Ship: Bumbleby (implied but it's not the main focus at all) and referenced Whiterose
Genre: Angst and comfort
Requested by: Me
Type: After V9 EP 8
Word Count: 4610

Enjoy the one-shot! Please comment if you like it because it motivates me to write more! Thank you<3 xx

I teared up writing this. </3

┗━━━•❃°•°❀°•°❃••❃°•°❀°•°❃•━━━┛

There are 5 stages of grief.

Denial.

Weiss, Blake, Yang, Jaune, and Juniper run into the building, freezing in shock when their eyes meet the scene before them; Ruby lying on the ground with Neo bent down next to her, placing a cup of unknown colorful liquid in front of her.

They all stand in shock as Ruby takes the teacup in her hands and looks up at them. Yang's eyes fill with tears when she notices how dull Ruby's beautiful silver eyes are. Ruby takes the cup, putting it to her lips. She pauses to look at her sister, before gulping the liquid down.

Yang tries to move to stop her, but she's completely paralyzed. Her legs seem to have stopped working. Blood rushes to her ears, drowning out all noise when Ruby drops the teacup and falls on the ground. It doesn't take long for her body to glow and a hole opens up beneath her, swallowing her. Yang's mouth opens, but nothing comes out.

Her entire body is shaking and she feels her knees begin to give out from underneath her, the only thing keeping her from falling to the ground is her girlfriend's tight hold on her, holding her up. "Ruby?"

Yang's lip quivers before she gets thrown against the wall, along with her teammates and Jaune. The pain knocks her back to reality, her heart falls to her feet as she stares at the vines on the ground where Ruby used to lay.

She can faintly hear voices in the back, a petrifying scream, and her girlfriend telling her they've got to go, but Yang can only stare at the emptiness where her sister used to be. "Rubes?"

Yang shakes her head, looking around the room; Neo's gone, chairs are scattered around an empty table and each chair has a teacup placed perfectly in front. Everything clicks in Yang's mind, now. It was just an illusion.

An illusion to fuck them up; get them trembling so she can strike.

So where is she? Yang stands up, looking around for Neo. She finds nothing. Her breathing begins to pick up and she frantically locks eyes with Blake, who has tears streaming down her face. "Where'd Neo go?"

Blake shakes her head, taking Yang's hand in hers and putting one hand on Yang's back. "I'm so sorry.. I-"

Sorry? Why is she sorry? Ruby's fine. This was all just an illusion to fuck everyone up. They can't let their guard down, they have to be ready to fight.

"Why are you sorry? Ruby's alright. This was just one of Neo's stupid illusions. I'm sure Ruby's outside somewhere."

Everyone stops and turns to Yang, all with despair in their gaze. Weiss hugs herself tightly, not even trying to hold her tears back. Jaune stands in shock, letting Juniper rub against him. Jaune's arm instinctively wraps around their neck, rubbing gentle circles into their fur.

Blake once again shakes her head, wiping Yang's silent tears from her cheeks. "Oh, Yang.."

The silence is loud, but Yang breaks it, "Oh what? Come on, we gotta go get Ruby."