8

Buster hummed to himself quietly as Johnny rehearsed the song I'm still Standing by Elton John on the piano. The gorilla chuckled as he heard the koala faintly humming. Buster had a small smile on his face as he hummed along. Johnny stopped playing. "Hey, Mr. Moon, why don't you sing the song with me? Just this once? You might enjoy it." the gorilla encouraged, trying to coax Buster into it. The koala looked a bit dumbstruck.

"I, uh, I'm not a very good singer." Buster tried to think up a whole host of excuses. "I'll just sit over here. Thanks anyway, Johnny."

"Aww, come on, Mr. Moon! Please?" Johnny pleaded, truly sincerely hopeful that Buster might comply and sing the song with him just this once. "I won't ask again." he promised, patting the spot beside him on the bench invitingly. He had a warm smile on his face, one that was truly welcoming and one of hidden excitement that Buster might say yes.

"Well.. okay, but only this once, and don't be upset if I ruin the song." Buster said seriously. Johnny nodded, smile growing twofold. He handed Buster a microphone and started playing the piano. At first, Buster sang very softly, nervous and slightly embarrassed and flustered.

You could never know what it's like

Your blood like winter freezes just like ice

And there's a cold, lonely light that shines from you

You'll wind up like the wreck you hide

Behind that mask you use.

Johnny could of sworn Buster's expresion was one of forced-back pain as he sang the last three of those lines. But it was just his mind playing tricks on him, right? Yeah, that's what it had to be. Why would Buster looked pained anyway?

And did you think this fool could ever win

Well, look at me, I'm coming back again

I got a taste of love in a simple

And if you need know while I'm still standing

You just fade away

And don't you know I'm standing better thaf I ever did

Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid

Did Buster's voice just break? Was something wrong? No, maybe he just messed up. No matter that his eyes looked a little watery.

And I'm still standing after all this time

I'm picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind

I'm still standing

Yeah, yeah, Yeah

I'm still standing

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Okay, no doubt about it, something was wrong. Johnny almost stopped playing inquire about it but instead simply pushed his questions away for later. Buster gripped the microphone tightly, paws shaking a bit. His face was down as he stared at the ground, occasionally clenching his eyes shut to take a deep breath whenever his voice would break. His eyes were watery and he looked upset. Really distressed.

Once, I never could've hope to win

You're starting down the road leaving me again.

The threats you've made were meant to cut me down

And if our love was just a circus

You'd be a clown by now.

And don't you know I'm standing better than I ever did

Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid

And I'm still standing after all this time

I'm picking the pieces of my life without you on my mind

I'm still standing

Yeah, yeah, yeah

I'm still standing

Yeah, yeah, yeah

And don't you know I'm standing better than I ever did

Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid.

And I'm still standing after all this time

I'm picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind

I'm still standing

Yeah, yeah, yeah

I'm still standing

Yeah, yeah, yeah

I'm still standing,

Yeah, yeah, yeah

I'm still standing,

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Buster suddenly dropped the microphone with a shaky breath just as the song ended. Johnny's posture shot erect. "Mr. Moon? What's wrong, mate? Did I do something?"

"'s nothing, Johnny. I'm sorry. You didn't do anything wrong! I just... I'm sorry, I must look pathetic, huh?" Buster said sadly with a broken laugh, rubbing away a faint tear before it could fall. "Ahh, geez." he scolded himself, blowing air out with his lips to make a strange sound rather like a raspberry.

"No, no, you don't I just.. I'm worried about'cha, mate! What's bothering you? You can talk to me! If I can talk to you when something's upsetting me then you can talk to me too." Johnny encouraged, placing a large but gentle hand on Buster's shoulder.

Buster tried to smile but it came out as some sort of grimace followed by a wavering, wobbly smirk that was undeniably forced. "It's nothing, it's not important..." Buster tried to shrug off the topic, but Johnny raised an eyebrow and looked at him in stern skepticism. Buster sighed, knowing he wasn't going to get out of this. "It's a lot of dumb things. Mostly the third fourth and fifth line just.. upset me. I don't show it or say anything about it, but Crystal? He messed me up, Johnny. I'm not coming back from that." he hung his head, ashamed of himself. "I felt - and feel - bad about keeping stuff from you guys. But... you won't tell them about this, right?"

"'Course not. Not if you don't want me to. You will when you're ready too. And, honestly, Mr. Moon? Nobody thought you were completely fine after that anyway. You were good at hiding it, but no one comes back from that unscathed. We all know you struggle with that memory and whatever he might have done before that, but we're here to help. You know that, right? For anything." Johnny reminded the koala, a kind look in his eyes as he smiled in a comforting way at the koala. Not angry, but faintly sad that Buster felt so bad about this.

"Thanks, Johnny. You're a great kid, you know that?" Buster smiled at the gorilla, before hugging his leg (he's a short little feller). Johnny - after recoving from the original surprise - returned Buster's sweet little embrace.

"Hey, Mr. Moon, how would you like to come over to the garage tonight? We can play some games, go to a restaurant for some good food, and Nooshy will be there so she'll be plenty entertaining." he offered hopefully.

"Really? That'd be great, Johnny. Thank you."

(Made this for fun with my best friend. Pointless, cut corners, but fun)