Chapter XX: We Have To End This

Warnings: Mentions of blood, injuries, and death.
———————

Nylah sat on the cot cross legged while Mando and Cara arm wrestled. The child sat on her lap and watched.

"I got you, Mando."

"Care to double the bet?" He asked. Nylah could tell he was struggling just by hearing his voice. She didn't place a bet, mostly because she didn't know who would win.

Suddenly Cara grabbed at her throat, breaking up the game. Nylah's eyes furrowed then she noticed the child's outstretched hand and his concentration on the Dropper.

"What are you doing?" She picked him up, breaking his concentration.

"We're friends. Cara is our friend!" Mando insisted.

"That is not okay!" Cara yelled, pointing at the child.

"Curious," they heard Kuiil mumble behind them.

"Curious? It almost killed me!"

Kuiil ignored Cara, "The story you told me of the mudhorn now makes more sense."

Nylah rubbed a hand across the child's wrinkly bald head.

"What is it?" Mando asked.

"What it is, I don't know. But what it does, this...This I've heard rumors of."

"What? When you worked for the Empire?"

"Cara, that's uncalled for!" Nylah called out, trying to defend the Ugnaught.

"When I was sold to the Empire, in indentured servitude."

"Yet somehow, you walk free," Cara stood from her seat. Nylah also stood, handing the child to Mando.

"I bought my freedom through the skill of my hands and the labor of three of your human lifetimes." Suddenly IG-11 appeared behind Kuiil. Nylah's eyes widened.

"Do not cast doubt upon that of what I am nor whom I shall serve."

A pregnant pause passed through the first level. Nylah passed the group and made it to IG-11.

She patted a hand on his metal arm. "It's okay, IG. Nothing to be worried about," She whispered.

Soon enough Mando and Cara went to the upper level while Nylah stayed on the first level with Kuiil, IG-11 and the child. Mando had asked Kuiil to re-enforce the carrier for the child but Kuiil insisted on a new one. IG was preparing another meal and Nylah could already feel her stomach rumbling.

They landed with a thump that shook the ship. Nylah, fully stuffed with the food IG-11 made, placed the child in the capsule Kuiil made. She complimented his good work and he returned her compliment with a smile. Mando and Cara joined them on the lower deck and unloaded the blurrgs.

"Are you sure Nylah wouldn't be more comfortable on a blurrg? I'm sure she could fit on the back of yours," Cara asked, nodding to Mando's blurrg.

"She's better at riding that hoverboard than walking. Watch," he nodded toward the ship where Nylah was walking down the ramp. When she stepped off, she stepped on a large rock and crumbled to the ground. Cara let out a loud laugh.

"Ha Ha, very funny. Laugh at someone falling down," Nylah called, standing back up and wiping the dirt from her pants. She hated dirt.

"Do you need help learning how to walk?" Cara grinned.

"I can't help that I'm a clutz. It's in my Raydonian nature."

"That is not how that works," Mando said.