00||Movie Theaters

The high school senior glanced at Shay, her coworker who was currently on break in the locker room and stress eating about his on-and-off relationship with his 2nd girlfriend of the month

(Name) was already about to call it a night. It's Saturday, so she has to study for a test on Tuesday before then.

They both wore out dark polos with their name tags awkwardly pinned to the corner, only (Name) had a hoodie to cover it. And they were both exhausted from taking in orders for the high demand on the Demon Slayer Movie that just released 3 weeks ago.

"Well, my break is almost over. Hopefully Jennifer doesn't get mad if I'm a minute late." Shay sighed dejectedly, sipping on an large Icee cup, a pack of Skittles sitting on the counter beside him.

"She probably won't. It's a Friday. She's been suspiciously happy recently after her boyfriend decided to take her out to dinner tomorrow." His coworker replied back.

"Man. You're what, 18? Go get a love life (Name)! You're young! I saw a video the other day that said 'when your 18-30, be a whore' an it was the most inspirational thing I've heard in weeks." Shay muttered. He was in his mid twenties and a player at that.

(Name) is his partner in crime.

"Look, just because you're some douche that thinks he's a player even though the truth is that you're the one getting dumped over and over again, doesn't mean you can drag me into your mess. I am fully content with simping for fictional characters and creating fake scenarios in my head." She huffed in annoyance.

"Your loss." Shay sat up, his chair skidding back when he dumped the last few Skittles into his mouth and throwing out his Icee cup. "Just be sure to take up the next few tickets for the Demon Slayer Movie. It's already almost closing time and the last show is the next one. Be sure to get a ticket to watch it. Heard it's sad."

"Shut up. I know it'll be sad. I read the manga already last year." (Name) jabbed back blandly, slamming her locker shut and aggressively sipped on her own Icee with a scowl. She didn't appreciate Koyoharu Gotogue killing off so many great characters. The idea always left a bad taste in her mouth the more she thought about it.

She dumped the rest of her Icee in the bin, the cold taste of blue raspberry now unappealing and bland as she grabbed her bag and slung one strap over her shoulder. She was gonna take the offer to the movie. She's been wanting to watch it for a while now and it was going to be removed from the theaters in a week.

The door swung open when she pulled the handle, being met with the strong scent of popcorn and musty carpet smell from the floors.

It was nearly 10 so there were only a few lingering people watching. Other than that, it was completely empty aside from the employees.

"Oh? Done with your Icee already?" Shay asked.

(Name) only nodded before handing him 12 dollars. "One ticket to the Mugen Train please."

Shay dramatically snatched the money as if it were a wig before tapping a few buttons on the cash register. The metal box popped open as he counted the money and handed back 4 dollars. "Employee discount." He clarified with a grin as (Name) took the money and shoved into her hoodie pocket.

"It looks like your hoodie had the definition of weeb dumped all over it." He snickered as she flipped him the birdie on her way to theater 4 after buying a ticket and another Icee. Her (fav KNY character) hoodie was amazing, she didn't know what he was talking about.

The theater was empty aside from her who had just entered the dark room. The hype of the Mugen Train had come to die down and no one was crazy enough to drive to a movie theater at 10 pm on a Sunday unless it's on a whim or you're just built different.

The beginning credits with paid promotions was coming to an end, the iconic Ufodable and Toei Animation openings playing.

The scenes were a blur, matching those of which that were in the manga panels. Her vision was clouded with exhaustion and dreariness from the all nighter the other night, so she was fighting to stay awake.

(Name) bobbed her head to the boss music that was playing during Akaza's entrance and felt her eyes get heavy. She steeled her heart, ready for the inevitable death of Rengoku Kyrojuro. The promise she made to herself about not crying during the movie was very unlikely.

"Flame Breathing, Nineth Form:Rengoku (Purgatory)"

The erratic thumping inside of (Name)'s rib cage didn't cease as she moved closer to the edge of her seat. This scene was even more touching than in the manga. It was incredible. She used her fingers to force her eye lids open despite how much she wanted to close them and sleep, yet she wanted to see every detail of this moment.

Her eyelids begin to sting with tears as she looked at the fist going through the Flame Hashira's torso, cringing at how quiet the movie had gone and Tanjiro's crestfallen face.

But it wasn't over.

The next scene, Rengoku forced his blade against Akaza's throat as the demon desperately tried to get away from the rising sun.

The next scenes were a blur as (Name) tried not to fall asleep, her hoodie feeling much more comfortable and reassuring than before. She scoffs. The movie just showed her a demon with sleeping and dreams.

She doesn't even register the ending credits when she falls into a tired slumber.

_______
Word count:966