Chapter 2 (yr 3-4)

It was year three when Bryel became most excited

It was year three when Bryel became most excited. Her Godfather was going to accompany her to Hogwarts this year.

"You'll never hear the end of it you know," Draco said one night, the night before they were to head to Hogwarts.

Bryel was having dinner at Malfoy manor that night, happy that her foster parents had allowed her Godfather to take her earlier than usual for the trip to Hogwarts Station. Usually, her Godfather had to fight tooth and nail to convince them to take her any more than an hour before the train was to leave, her foster parents demanding Bryel finish house chores before departing. They hated Bryel. They hated her Godfather the same as well. They despised the "tainted blood" that Bryel and her Godfather carried and their only solace was the fact that Bryel had befriended the Malfoys at such a young age. They constantly voiced their hopes that the Malfoys would rub off on Bryel and not her "filthy" Godfather or her "disgusting" parents before her.

It was for this reason they fought and refused to have Bryel's Godfather spend more than a weekend or so with her. As much as she begged for her Godfather to adopt her, he always solemnly declined. He assured her that he loved her, but reinforced that he was unable to care for her appropriately due to his condition. She didn't care about that of course, and she never understood why it mattered.

"Why do you say that?" Bryel asked, swinging her legs back and forth while she sat on the edge of the railing outside the manor.

Draco laughed, "Your Godfather being a professor? Yea, no kid gets around that without some teasing."

Bryel rolled her eyes at him, "It always comes down to something negative with you, doesn't it?"

Draco shrugged, "Just being realistic is all."

"Come off it," Bryel laughed, watching Draco as he kicked loose gravel around.

"It isn't like you make it hard for others to tease you know. Potter being someone you hang around so much already draws enough attention to you," Draco said, putting a bit too much emphasis on Potter.

Bryel hopped down from the railing to face Draco, "Someone I hang around? He's my friend Draco."

"Whatever. He puts you in bad situations every year now. Don't know why you bother sticking around," he mumbled, not looking up at her.

Bryel felt defensive. She grew tired of how often Draco put down Harry.

"Well he's always there for me too," she replied.

Draco didn't respond. He continued kicking the gravel.

"More than you ever are anyway..." Bryel added cooly.

Draco felt hurt. It wasn't his fault that he didn't. She made it impossible for him to be around her during the school year, short of after some classes, she was always attached at the hip with the three weirdos. He obviously wanted more time with her, she was his best friend after all. The summers were becoming the time he looked forward to the most, getting her all to himself.