𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷

A teen walked through the crowd; his mop of sky-blue hair buried into the light novel he was carrying. All around the boy older students shouted details about their clubs, trying to attract new members. He walked around a tall boy with thick eyebrows and his friend holding out fliers for the school basketball club.

The pair moved forward, towards a tall redhead walking behind him, immediately addressing the boy's impressive height as a great addition to their roster. Kuroko felt his heart ache. It had been a while since he was last fully and unintentionally ignored. Even with the development of his misdirection skills – he had become well-known enough to be recognized as a basketball regular when the other Teiko students realized he was present.

He shouldn't have been surprised, really. Why would he think that high school would be any different than before Aomine had found him? He was a shadow, the invisible man. Even if he had become well known enough to generate rumors, well known enough to be recognized on Teiko's basketball team, he was a myth. He was effective because no one expected him to have the experience that he did.

Kuroko maintained a blank face from where he stopped in the middle of the crowd, the three basketball players have made their way toward wherever the table was. He was so tempted to try – at least try for the people he once considered his best friends. He was a specialist, an expert even, if anyone that wasn't a miracle could have beaten them, it would be Kuroko and a new light.

Aomine's eyes flashed through his mind and Kuroko lurched forward. 'You're only as strong as the light you play with'.

There was no point. Even if, by some stupid miracle, there was someone in Seirin strong enough to beat Kise or even Midorima, no one could beat the other three.

'I don't even know how to catch your passes, anymore'.

Even with Kuroko boosting the strength of the team, his style of play relied on trust. He would have to trust them to make them strong and he would never be able to trust another light as much as he had the generation of miracles.

Myths persisted the more people talked about them. He had relished in his opportunity to follow the growth of the miracles. To stand behind them as people started to notice his prodigy friends. Perhaps it was always his fate to fade back into obscurity the moment his lights moved on to their new story.

Kuroko kept walking towards his classroom, weaving through the crowd that would have walked through him if they could.

At least this way Kuroko wouldn't have to watch as the miracles made the sport they loved a sideshow to their personal competition.

*

A little under a month later, Kise stood at the gates of Seirin, barely managing to contain his excitement. Kurokocchi went here! He hadn't heard from Kurokocchi since they graduated from Teiko. It was a little awkward, with Kuroko quitting the team, but the blond could never be upset with the diminutive boy.

It had taken some pleading, but Momoi had eventually divulged the school their favorite player had chosen. Maybe their shadow had wanted to surprise them in the tournaments? Kise didn't think he could wait that long to see his beloved mentor again if that was the original plan. Kuroko would forgive him – he always did.

The blond leisurely walked through the campus, judgmental thoughts idly passing through his mind as he looked for the gym. The school was new and pristine – Kurokocchi always appreciated simple things and carried a subtle disdain for disrepair. It was small – too small for his tastes, but Kurokocchi was never one for attention. The blue-haired boy had only ever needed the miracles that surrounded him.

It would have been better if Kurokocchi had chosen a different school, one with a powerful team that would have been a challenge if they figured out how to apply the invisible miracle, but any school that had Kurokocchi had to be at least a little good just for the fact that the phantom was there.