She Pops (Summer 11)

XI.

Madoka lay in her old bed questioning herself. She wanted to dance and hold the princess but she also wanted to rematch against the princess and win. Elise made her head go to war with her heart. Madoka's body felt too small for these feelings.

Was this what she meant when she said she was going to pop?

Madoka tossed herself to the other side of the bed. Some of the idioms the princess used were absolutely bizarre and unheard of. Some of her thoughts and concepts were the mark of her genius. Still, despite those things she could not communicate well. Madoka knew the princess was much smarter and stronger than Madoka had any right to be, since she practically raised her all alone in the palace. That was the reason she felt like she was rapidly falling behind. Perhaps she was never in the lead at all.

The princess has since spoken about what she plans to do in regards to the futures that she's seen. Madoka could not understand despite being told over and over. She was ordered to watch over the princess by the king himself. Madoka did not know why she thought so hard about these things.

Still, both Lord Zeron and Lord Leopride made it clear to her that she should protect Elise with all that she has got. Lord Leopride gave a salute before the both of them departed with those other guests. Madoka stayed quiet around them, as a maid should. She also did not trust any nobles.

The truth was, she never had time to even meet with her fellow servants. Only passing smiles and small conversations were exchanged between Madoka and the maids. There were not too many servants in the Estate anyways; Elise had sent most of her staff back to the Palace and set most of them free. Even most guards and mages were sent to the villages and towns surrounding the estate.

Madoka refused the princess's personal offer of freedom.

"Fool, you think you could get rid of me so easily?" Madoka scolded Elise at the time. Elise looked sad for a second but smiled at her decision.

So Madoka was left to attend to Elise in her daily endeavors. Despite the harsh training, Madoka found this experience enjoyable. She feared something was wrong with her. Training until she sweat head to toe, getting beaten and broken until she could get back up... It certainly was not ladylike in the slightest.

Madoka would process it all by praying to all of the kind gods she knew of. She also needed them especially for today because the princess planned to head into the wilderness beyond the labyrinth. She shuddered at the thought of the labyrinth. How were they to conquer the ruins?

Still, Madoka could only stall the inevitable for a little while. She rolled out of bed and inspected herself. Her muscles and scars showed their imperfections clearly in the setting moons' visage. Just what did Elise see in her that made her declare Madoka as the one in her dreams?

It was a question for another day, she supposed.

The maid got up and slipped her uniform on then headed out to wake her princess. To her surprise, the princess was already awake when Madoka knocked on her doors. She urgently called Madoka in. "Come in! Come in! Help me!"

"Excuse me," Madoka entered the room with a bow. The princess was standing over several folded sets of travelers' garbs. Madoka sighed. She thought the situation was like one of her night terrors. "Choose the brown or green one. The white one will be harder to hide the stains."

"Wha-" Elise turned to her. "How did you know what my question was going to be? Are you some kind of mind reader?"

"It's not healthy for you to lean over your bed like that," Madoka ignored her. "You need to stand up straight."