Chapter 6: Mail at the Docks

"Did you see something that caught your interest or met someone?" asked Eirene.

"I just... bumped into someone," I replied.

I shook my head and flashed a small smile as if I didn't just sprint my way to them. My head turned to look back from where I had run my way out. The busy crowd of people has already spread across the spaces I walk through. A quiet thud echoed in my chest as my heart beat irrationally again, seeing that the old lady was still looking in our direction—staring at me. I swallowed the lump in my throat and just fixed my gaze in front, careful not to bump into anyone again.

The salty air crept up on me as soon as we reached the entrance of the shipping dock. The small gate had a large rusty sign, and "Willow Regal" was what was written on the sign. Countless people, who I think are passengers, are outside; some are crying, while others looked like their whole lives had just flashed before them.

"Mother, are we gonna die? When will the boat arrive? We should leave now mom—"

"Shh... Just sleep, and I'll wake you up," said a more mature voice that lingered in my ears this time.

I looked in the direction where the voices came from. I arched my brow when I immediately recognized who they were. A memory of them in the store flashed in my mind. They were the mother and daughter whose conversation I heard at the convenience store. I thought they had already left that morning. Have things gotten quite tricky for them as well?

I heard Eirene ask, "Will Alora come with us to investigate the boat?"

I looked at them when I heard my name. Ianna shook her head as if to indicate that I would just stay here at the docks. "It'll be best if she stays here in the docks. Besides, it'll only take us a few minutes, and we need someone to stay here with the passengers," her answer followed.

I nodded at Ianna, understanding what she meant. She's right. Any time, something could happen that's not within our grasp. And I believe this is what I'm best at, blending between people.

When the two walked away from me, I looked around for a seat to play my role. A seat lay empty near where the little girl was sitting. Without hesitation, I sat down and relaxed myself. Something squeaked when I sat down, and my eyes widened when it caught the attention of the passengers sitting on the row. I noticed the little girl was looking at me as well, so I let out an awkward smile.

I sat there silently, as if silence were a language people could easily understand. Many were shedding tears, muttering about how they thought their lives would end when the ship was ambushed. Often times, I don't understand the way of life. Every once in a while, something occurs, and then we could easily think of either wanting to live or to stop living. But I guess it never really is the same when we're on the brink of life.

I slowly closed my eyes as I began to hum a tune I've learned ever since I was a toddler. The whole place started to feel steady, and I could no longer hear the voices of the people around me. I missed this feeling—the moment when my mind seems to know everything every person around me has been through.

When I opened my eyes, a foggy night greeted me, and the skyscraper loomed in front of me, dark blue and nearly black. Only the pale light from a single streetlight was illuminating it. Luxurious cars were everywhere. A red sedan on my right, a black camper van on the left. It was almost as if it didn't belong in the dusty, littered street.

A high-pitched scream sounded from somewhere, and then I heard the footsteps. My thoughts of the place drifted away as I hurried towards the back of the black camper van. My brows arched when I noticed the large envelope icon on the van. It had the numbers "13010912" engraved on its rusty metal cover.