Chapter 5 Act II

You slowly opened your eyes and found yourself in an unfamiliar room. You didn't get up quickly this time since you've learned for the past two attempts that jolting your body up immediately after waking up is a terrible idea. You turned your head over to the side and caught a glimpse of a familiar redhead, holding onto your hand firmly while resting his head on the edge of your bed while his body is sitting on a nearby chair. Your eyes couldn't believe it at first, fearing that this is all just a dream. You thought that if it were, you didn't want to wake up anymore.

You hesitantly have your free hand gently run through the detective's red locks, it felt smooth and silky but you were trying to be careful not to wake him up.

'I don't want this dream to end... I don't wanna wake up anymore.. If only I was able to tell him how I felt then maybe...' Your train of thoughts then stopped when you heard him slightly groaning and slowly started to move. You quickly move your hand away in surprise and blinked for a moment as you watch him slowly sit up then he suddenly stopped upon seeing you all wide awake. You swore you caught a glimpse of blush dusting his face in that moment before he suddenly pulled you close for a firm hug.

"I thought I had lost you...." He whispered under his shaky breath as you slowly wrapped your arms around him. It finally came to you that you were not dreaming and everything around you is real. You were fighting the urge to tear up and yet you failed to do so, tightly holding onto the detective's clothes and not wanting to leave his embrace. He tried to calm you down as he run his free hand on the back of your head, whispering to your ear that everything is alright now and you are safe.

After a few minutes of being each other's embrace, the embarrassment started to kick in and you quickly pulled away from him. "I-I'm really sorry! I-" The detective then just chuckled at your reaction, and with his free hand, he gently grabbed a couple strands of your h/c locks and have it slide through his palm.

"I'm really sorry for not being able to find you sooner. I must admit, a detective such as myself had a difficult time finding you.. Though I do hope you wouldn't run away next time, I don't want this incident to happen again. If you have any problems you can't face by yourself, just wanting to let you know that you have a detective here to rely on" He gave you a soft and caring smile, it made you blush but you cared less about it anymore. You then slowly glanced down as you fiddled your hands together.

"I'm... Sorry.."

He sighed through his nose and gently pat your head. "Man alive, you're really a magnet for trouble, y/n. It makes me want to confine you so you would no longer run away" He then added a chuckle to the last part as you just blinked, unsure if he was kidding or not.

"E-Eh..?"

"Just kidding~" He then slowly stood up from his seat. "I'll be heading back to the station now to investigate on something. I'll come back later after my work is done. Someone will come by to watch over you in my absence so you won't have to worry being all by yourself" He patted and ruffled your hair before he went to leave the room. "See ya, y/n~" You waved back at the detective as a response and lightly sighed when he already left, you wished that he would stay a little bit longer.

It didn't long until someone slowly slid the door open and entered. A woman with green hair and purple eyes, wearing a mask that matches the color of her clothes. You were already familiar with this woman as you both have been friends for a long time.

"Shinobu! I never knew you were back already!" Your eyes lit up at the sight of your old friend as she removed her mask and smiled softly at you.

"I heard the news when I arrived back here. It must be really hard for you" She closed the door behind her then sat down on the nearby chair as you just sighed. "Then again, who in their right mind would run away to Tatarasuna? Did you have a death wish or something?" Ah, there is the usual Shinobu you knew.

"I just.. ran off on impulse... I don't really understand myself sometimes.."

"No surprises there, you've always been impulsive. At least it's not as bad as the boss's but you get what I mean" You sweatdropped as you listened to her, you thought if it's okay for her to talk about Itto while he's not present. Your green-haired friend then took out a couple of books from her bag and placed them down beside you on your bed. "The detective thought that you might get bored while being hospitalized and requested to give you these light novels" Your eyes lit up again at the sight of new books that Shinobu started to think that you're like a child who got offered with bags of sweets and treats.

"Thanks Shinobu! I'll thank Heizou as well when he comes back" You picked up a book and stared at it in awe. You wanted to take your time to adore the book before peering in to its contents.

The door then suddenly opened as Shinobu almost immediately puts her mask back on and you paused from enjoying the book on your hands. The person who entered is actually the least person you would expect to walk in on that door, and probably not the one you hoped to see for a while.

"y/n, I heard that you're feeling better now" Sango approached the both of you as you then slightly nodded and glanced away, you couldn't bear to look at her directly in the eyes after everything that had happened. Shinobu looked at you and Sango for a moment before she stood up and thought that she should give the both of you some privacy. "I'll go buy some food" She then walked out, leaving you alone with your former senior colleague in awkward silence.

The silence then finally broke after a long moment.

"y/n... Can we talk for a bit..?"

-End of Act II-