why?

We had such a blast fighting, I almost forgot he was fucking Marla.
Why was I so obsessed with them?
Did I really like Marla?
I wish I could talk to somebody about this.
In my childhood I was very lonely, but I still had someone to talk to. His name was Adam. The one in the fight. We were friends all throughout high school, then a few years after.
He was the complete opposite of me, but I was always strangely drawn to him.
He was tall, thin and pale, with dark hair and chestnut brown eyes. He was a typical extrovert. He had a warm voice, which I heard very often. It was comforting to be around him. The feeling was strangely similar to being around Tyler.
Until he met Marla.
I still didn't fully understand why I had such a problem with them, but I did. It was like when they were together a wildfire lit inside of me, one fueled with jealousy.

I am Jack's shameful envy.

I had no right being like this. They did nothing to me. At least I had something to look forward to, fight club.
It always made me happier. It became the reason to cut your hair, nails, to brush your teeth.

I took one step closer to Tyler. We were still mid-fight. Our pain tolerance had gone way up during the three months that we were living together.
Instead of screeching in pain after a hit, we simply smiled.
As Tyler finished tonguing his newly chipped tooth, he grinned sincerely.
This caught me off guard for a second and he pushed me to the ground.
He was on top of me, holding my arms down so I wouldn't fight back.
My cheeks were on fire.
A bit later, I guess he realized that when he was holding my arms down, he couldn't move his either.
So he took his right arm off of my left, and started punching me in the face.
It was very painful, but relieving. Somehow, I felt better.
I felt a stream of blood make its way to the corner of my mouth, and Tyler's left hand slide off my captive arm.
I took advantage of that immediately, turning around so now I was on top of Tyler.
Just as I started repeating what he had done, we heard the door open and turned our glances towards it.
As I saw Marla, with her messy hair, and her just-a-bit-too dark eyeshadow, I got off Tyler and went to the bathroom without saying a word.
From the creek in between the door and doorframe, I saw Tyler get up from the ground and loudly stumble towards Marla.
I finished closing the door and took cotton swabs, a disinfectant and bandages from the cupboard under the sink.
I finished treating my wounds, staring intensely at myself in the mirror.
Just as I put the stuff back into the basket in the cupboard, I heard the headboard in Tyler's room rhythmically slamming against the wall.
I couldn't take it.
I walked from the bathroom to the kitchen, quickly taking my keys and jacket, aggressively opening the front door and running as far away and as quickly as possible.
After approximately forty-five minutes, I found myself standing in the middle of a few houses and a convenience store, a tree behind me. I was panting, exhausted, lost.
I had no clue where I was. It was already getting dark. I pondered if Tyler was wondering where I was by now, or even Marla.
I sat under the tree until I calmed down again, then I got up.
I realized. I could never get home, it was dark, I couldn't possibly remember where to go.
I had to stay here, but I wouldn't sleep under the tree.
I went around all the houses, repeating the same thing.
"Do you have a place where I could spend the night, please?"
Mostly grumpy grandparents answered the question, all in the same manner.
"No, get lost."
Until I got to the last house, just a couple of feet from the forest that looked like it stretched for miles.
A sweet woman opened the door after I knocked, she was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Of course that left me starstruck, I couldn't muster up anything.
She was tall, pale, had wavy umber hair and greenish eyes, freckles around her face.
"Do you need anything?" She laughed.
"Um.. Do you have a place to stay? I kind of got lost." I returned.
"Sure! I'll just ask my husband if he's okay with it." She smiled.
I sighed to myself.
"Hun, can this sweet man stay the night?" She asked, turning around, facing a male figure inside the house.
"Sure, why not. He can stay in Molly's room." His voice was familiar.
The woman turned to me again, gesturing for me to come inside. I did.
"My name is Claire. Please take your shoes off-" she voiced, smiling.
"Nice to meet you," I said, taking my shoes off.
"This is my husband Adam and our daughter Sarah." She explained, closing the door with one hand and pointing to them with the other.
"Adam?" I asked, looking up at him.
"Yup. Wait- uhm, we had bio together, right? Queen Anne's high school?"
"Yeah! Oh my god, you really are living the dream-" I beamed.
Just as I finished that sentence, he was already sprinting towards me for a hug.
"I missed you so so much!" He screamed.