0

.

I remember when i first met samir. I was about five or six and was very anti social for my age but I felt an ephiphany that day something in that one glimpse of his eyes made me want to speak to him and find out everything about him. I wanted to connect to him.

I rub the mud off my small palms and let the flakes fall onto the ground as i pick myself up from the bottom of the slide, I giggle to myself and scan the small playground for something else to do. The playground is squeezed into the middle of a bunch of tall council flats filled with drug addicts and people in debt. No kids are out to play because its gloomy but i like it like that. Not when its gloomy, but whens its just me.

My eyes advert to the 6th floor and the balcony next to mine and i see it packed with moving boxes. My bestfriend used to live there but she moved about 2 or 3 months ago i frown at the thought but my attention is taken away when I hear the playground gate loudly squeak and foot steps ascending towards me.

A small boy stands about two metres from me and scans my face, I do the same. He stands just a few inches taller than me,so im assuming hes 7 or 8, he has black hair which kind of falls onto his face and his sharp brown eyes shoot daggers into mine and i smile.

"Hi im nala whats you-." I begin but he rudely interrupts me.

"Why are you staring at my balcony?" He says almost in a mumble but i still manage to catch it.

"Oh your moving there? You see, I live right next to it." I point to the balcony next to his.

"My best friend aria used to live there." I say still looking at the balcony but i can still feel his eyes linger on me.

"Im samir." He replies from my question earlier making me turn my attention back to him and smile.

Ever since that day me and him had been besfriends. Our friendship and bond was unbreakable. We brought out the best and worst in each other. He would fight for me and i would fight for him. It was us against the world.

Current age 13/14

My school books and pencils fall to the ground as my backpack is tipped upsidedown and my books are swiped out of my hand. Another hand tugs at my braids and my glasses are pulled off my face. I fall to the ground and hug myself covering my head as a group of kids attack me and I sob silently in my arms. After afew minutes of my hair and clothes being tugged all a sudden i hear shouting and everybody being pulled off me.

As soon as everyone is pulled away i scramble to pick up my books and glasses and i look up to see samir and his friends fighting. I throw everything back into my bag and run to the small study room where no-one usually goes and I shut the door behind me. My hands tremble and my head feels heavy. I drop my bag on the floor and slowly sit down in the chair laying my head down on the desk and I just let all my tears and hurt out.

A few minutes pass by and the door is slowly opened I don't look up and keep my head down. I know who's here. The seat beside me is slowly pulled out and he places himself on the seat but positions himself facing me.

"Im sorry... Im sorry about all this. I- I shouldve been there for you i shouldve been there to protect you." He speaks and he grabs hold of my hand and starts to rub small circles against my wrist.

"Nala. Im sorry." I sniffle and lift my head up and use my other hand to wipe my tears away. He scans my face to see my bruises and his jaw tightens. His face is also littered with bruises and his nose looks funny.

"Its not your fault." I mumble and he quickly shakes his head.

"No but i shouldve been there." something about seeing him hurt so much and care about me made my heart feel warm and i lean into him and start crying in his arms. and he holds me.