Just Who Are You, Elise? (Summer final)

XII.

"Can you walk now?" Madoka asked her princess. Elise had fully burrowed her head into Madoka's shoulder. She was on high alert, since they were still very much in the middle of the woods amongst the horrible ruins. Or altar.

"Mmm," Elise made a noise, trying to get up.

Don't leave me.
I am waiting here.
Come to me quickly.

Madoka heard Ciara's thoughts as she helped Elise. At the rate of the danger they were in, she cared not what that strange voice she heard was at the moment. The alien and unnerving presence she felt from the altar faded away, but Madoka remained vigilant. She was her princess's shield and ax, after all. Or maybe the saying was sword and shield?

The princess was muttering something, but Madoka could not understand her.

"It's been awhile," she chuckled. "Since I last spoke English."

"Was..." Madoka was terrified at the realization that the princess was speaking about the tongues. "Is 'English' the language of the Gods?"

"Ha," Elise laughed. "Perhaps I should teach you English."

Madoka gulped. Was it even possible that she, a mere commoner, could speak the language the gods spoke?

"I-I don't think I'm worthy of such knowledge," Madoka stammered.

"Come on," Elise said. The two found Ciara waiting for the girls to come. Madoka sent a prayer to the kind gods in thanks that the horse was unharmed. "You already know, what, like three languages?"

"Commoner, Noble, and Royal," Madoka stated. Commoners used a reverent form of Noble to speak to nobles while the nobles themselves used a reverent form of Royal to speak with the Royals. She remembered her training in Royal. The ancient language itself was being phased out, even the princess herself said that nobles get away without using reverent Royal to address even the King. The princess admitted she did not learn Royal, but knew only key phrases. "Still, is this English language not the one that god used?"

Commoners were not to dare speak to a Royal, Madoka thought some more about English. The language even gods use, perhaps Royals would use a reverent form of English to speak with the gods. And here Madoka was, speaking in Noble with Elise like she was equals with her. It was the princess's personal request.

"Trilingual," Elise said with surprise in her voice. Why was she surprised, Madoka thought. The princess herself could speak three languages, one which no one has ever heard before. "You're smart!"

Madoka suddenly felt her throat feel constricted. Something felt wrong when she looked at the princess now. She was not talking to the real princess. She was talking to... Why was she feeling so...? The shock slowly settled on her skin like a disgusting form of sunlight. She was facing the fact that everything the princess told Madoka about herself was true. It was Madoka's turn to lean on Ciara, pale from this revelation. Elise was not the real Elise. A kind god... spoke to the princess.

"Madoka?" Elise asked her. "English isn't that hard. Hell, there's not even rolling R's. Although, it's a pain in the ass to understand that some of its rules are contradictory... It's decided. We will learn English together when we get home. Madoka?"

Madoka let out a laugh. She did not know why. Her princess was a being from another world. Was she a demon like the nobles in the Palace said? Her head was falling apart in a spiral but all she could do is laugh in disbelief that she was forced to believe. Her own eyes have seen Elise be different. Her own ears have heard otherworldliness. Madoka's hands have fought off the shaking for too long but now she was a mess in hysterics.