Chapter 15 《Spelldrive, Denied, Infirmary》

"I never know what anyone is talking about.." Yuu sighed. "Same." I agreed. "Dude, you guys.. You've never heard of Spelldrive?!" Ace freaked out. "It's a world-famous sport! There's even a pro league and a world championship tournament." Deuce added. "I ain't never heard of this neither!" Grim said. "Spelldrive is a sport played by competing teams of seven people. Basically, players battle for control of a disc and earn points by drivin' it into the enemy team's goal. The team with the most points wins!" Ace explained. "That sounds like football." Yuu commented. Football? "Football...? Say what?" Deuce asked. "Hm. I've not heard of such a game, but I'll look it ip the next time I'm at the library. Perhaps it will yie,d some sortof clue." Crowley said. "Oh, man, I just realized that Yuu would have a hard time actually playing." Ace sighed. "Yeah? Why's that?" Grim asked. "You need magic to play." Deuce answered, "Not only do you move the disk with magic, but you use it to attack and defend, too." This word is way more dependent on magic than teyvat is with elemental power. "The flashier the magic, the better- it's how players show off their skills!" Ace added.

"Yes, quite!" Crowley said, "That is why Night Raven College is known throughout the world as a leader in sport! This school has produced countless pro players!" That's really amazing! "That's why our interdorm Spelldrive tournaments attract attention even from pro league recruiters." Crowley boasted. Even though I don't really know Spelldrive, this is quite impressive! "Also, those simply looking for up-and-coming magicians use the event to scout hopeful candidates." Crowley further explained. This knowledge on Spelldrive may come in handy one day. "Wow.. That's incredible." Yuu said once Crowley finished explaining. "It's broadcasted throughout the world?! So you're sayin' that if I were to play in this tournament- and win, of course- the whole world would see it?!" Grims eyes sparkled. "Of course! Players who excel at the tournament invariably attract great attention. Both from the pro leagues and the public at large!" Crowley replied. "In your case, the magic would barely even matter just having a monster like you put there is sure to turn heads." Deuce added.

"It's settled, then! I'm gonna train around the clock, join a team, an become a legend!" Grim cheered. "Alas, Grim, you cannot enter." Crowley said. "Wait, what?" Grim asked. "Did you not hear me speak the word interdorm multiple times? Your dorm doesn't even have seven members. Therefore, you cannot enter the tournamen." Crowley stated. "Whaaaaaa?! No faaaaair!" Grim cried. Poor Grim. "Even though it's a different scenario and less harsh, it kind of reminds me of something." I thought. Crowley told Grim there were other things he could do that was not Spelldrive. "Not. Interested!" Grim refused. "I wanna be on TV! I want everyone in the world fawning over me! 'Squeee! Grim is sooooo cool!' 'Did you see that play Grim made?' You get what I'm saying?" Grim asked. "Your delusions are oddly specific, dude." Ace commented. "Well, if you can't field a team, I'm afraid that's that. Maybe next year, Ramshackle House will get some new members. But it's nlt happening this year." Deuce sighed. And then Crowley kicked us out of his office. Grim left sobbing about not being able to participate. The rest decided on going back to our dorms.

"BWAAAAAH?!" I heard someone scream. I rushed over immediately to check out what happened. A person from Heartslabyul was on the ground. "Hey! What just happened?! Why'd you tumble down the stairs like that?!" The other one asked. "My ankle.. it hurts!" The one on the floor cried in pain. "Oh no! We gotta get you to the nurse!" The other one freaked out. "Do you need help with that?" I asked. "Yes, that would be very appreciated!" He replied. Me and the other guy slowly picked up the one on the ground and brought him to the infirmary. When we entered, there was a horde of students in the infirmary. "Thanks for helping me carry him! It would have taken way longer by myself." He thanked. The one we took here seemed to have sprained his ankle. "It's not just that guy.. there's other students around here injured as well.. that's pretty unusual.. How could that happen?" I wondered. I've seen the infirmary before while I was exploring. It definitely wasn't this crowded.. I could only really give these guys ice packs. I'm not very skilled medically. "Sorry, it's not much. But it's the least I can do." I said to the people who received them

"Hello there, Yuu and Grim! What brings you here?" I greeted the approaching figures. "Hi [NAME]! I could say the same to you, too." Yuu responded. "Hey, I just realized you guys are the people from the unbirthday party! What are you two also doing here?" One of them asked. "Get a load o' that! We're totally famous!" Grim smirked. "We'd like to ask about your accident." Yuu said. Why are they asking. "Uh, that's kind of a weird question, but okay." He said. "I don't really know what happened myself." The one with the broken ankle sighed. "I was walking along talking to my friend. And the next thing I knew, BOOM! I was tumbling down the stairs." He explained. "Yeah. I didn't even see him stumbling or anything." The other one added. "It was like my body just lurched forward by itself. I can't really explain it." He sighed. "Hm. Hmmm. Interesting. Veery interesting." Grim hummed."What are they even up to?" I wondered. "Thank you for your cooperation." Yuu walked away. I decided to follow. "What are you two doing?" I asked. "Oh, we're investigating the injured students. Because Crowley believes someone might be causing it." Yuu answers. That makes sense, now.

"Do you mind if I help out?" I asked. "Sure! Why not." Yuu agreed. We then moved on to the next person. "Hey, you. You had an accident and almost got hurt real bad, right? Give us the deets." Grim said. Worst approach to start with, Grim. "And why should I answer to you, exactly?" The injured one, who I believe is from Pomefiore, asked. "He was in peak condition for the Spelldrive tournament and got hurt so bad that he can't even play now!" The other one said. "And you're here to... what, rub salt in my wound? We throw down the gauntlet! Duel us!" The injured one said. "Hold it!" I interrupted, "First of all, as of right now, you are injured and shouldn't be fighting. Secondly, we are investigating these accidents under the headmage's orders. We only ask for you to cooperate." That seemed to have worked. Both of the angered students calmed down and stepped back. Although, this will probably be the first and only time I call Crowley headmage. "All right, then. I'll explain." The injured one said. "It happened in the laboratory." The other one began, "We were boiling up a potion when his hands suddenly shot out and grabbed the screaming hot cauldron." That's pretty bad! "He dumped out every last drop. It was bizarre! Made a real mess, too." He continued. And Grim repeated that hmm-ing.

We left to see the next one. "I have a question." I said. We all stopped walking. "What is it?" Yuu asked. "Well, if you're investigating, why don't you also observe around?" I replied. They both seemed confused on what I meant. "What I mean is, if you really think that someone is causing this, why don't you check which dorm has students that aren't here. From what I know, if there really was a culprit, they probably wouldn't target their own dorm. Well, considering that the Spelldrive tournament is coming soon." I added. Using the information I had.

"Oh my god, [NAME], that is so smart!" Yuu cheered

"Oh my god, [NAME], that is so smart!" Yuu cheered. We were counting the students who were there. There were no Savanaclaw students and hardly any Octavinelle students. All of a sudden, Ace entered the infirmary with Deuce. "Big problem!" Both of them shouted in sync. "Huh?" The three of us turned our heads. "Trey fell down the stairs! He's hurt!" Deuce yelled a bit quieter. "WHAT?!"
----------------------------
A/N - just asking, but should we also meet Malleus/Tsunotaro? I can't really decide.