4

RUBY

"I have never been so embarrassed in my entire life!" Mom shouts.

I wince as it pierced my ears, twisting the new ring on my finger as the tightening sensation in my belly started up again. "You're exaggerating, Mom." His hand had yet to leave my exposed knee. It was warm, his lengthy fingers curling slightly to grip my flesh. After my announcement, Mom barged towards me like an angry dragon and snatched my arm, pulling me into a game room. I'm surprised my new "fiancé" hasn't said much and continued to listen to Mom rage about how my acts of display were insulting to our family. "This is outrageous. Do you have any idea what this could cause for your father?" She bristles, pacing back and forth.

I peer at the devilishly handsome man, remembering his hold on me, the way he kissed me, and how he was tasting the sweetness of cake off my tongue. I became hot at the thought, my cheeks burning from the large amounts of Shirley's and his piercing gaze. This man was already looking at me, and I hadn't even noticed. A tiny shiver racks its way around my body, stopping at my pulsing abdomen. "I thought you'd be happy knowing I've finally found someone?" I press, my tummy fluttering when his fingers begin to rub circles above my knee.

"You don't understand, Ruby. You don't know him." Mom's lips pursed, glaring daggers at the man beside me.

I give him a once over. He sat poised and tall, his broad shoulders tight and straining against the all-black suit. The red tie caught my eye instantly. His green orbs sparked with uncontrollable sin and fire, his lips rosy were smudged black lipstick on the corner of his tilted sneer. I boldly wipe it, peering past his dark lashes and under his watchful gaze. Breaking eye contact to avoid any more lustful ideas, I groan, "I'm grown enough to decide who I can date and marry, Mom. What your and Papa's funny business with him it's none of my concern. I don't care."

Just as I take a stand, papa charges in looking threatening as ever. Papa's expression was murderous as he stared at my new fiancé. I glance curiously between him. Papa was all for putting a bullet in him while my fiancé sat cool as a cucumber.

"What is the meaning of this, Daniel!"

Daniel's lips remain unturned, expression flat. "As your daughter said, she is grown enough to make her own decisions. The opportunity proceeded itself." The words sounded forced.

Mom had to press her hand against papas heaving chest to hold him back. I was the outsider looking in because to me, all this looked silly.

Papa needed to get a hold of himself before he lost his head. "Papa, please calm down," I urged, standing slightly in front of Daniel.

A light fluttering feeling swiftly moves around my fingers as Daniel grasps my hand. When I looked at him, he was as serious and unbothered by papas outburst.

"Don't take this personally, Warn. I will take care of Ruby from now on. Don't be mad at her, be mad at me." My name rolled off his tongue and sounded lewd.

"I forbid it-Ruby! I will not approve of this marriage!" He bellows.

I flinch at his loud tone, accidentally clenching Daniels's hand. He squeezes back before maneuvering me behind his solid frame. I admire it, taking in up the width of his shoulders and the slight narrowness of his waist. I have had very few close encounters with men throughout my life. And with the help of my older siblings, I was able to sneak away once and a while, occasionally sleeping around with some guys back when I attended a private high school. I've had a couple of boyfriends, all of which were decent men who adored me, but then whenever it slipped out who my family was, they all dipped.

My last boyfriend when I was eighteen turned out to be the best one. Chris Parchmen. He was gentle, kind, and respectful. We had the same AP history class and he would leave me notes in my bag when I wasn't looking or used to cover me with his uniform jacket whenever it rained. But sadly not only did my family name freak him out, he was working his way up to mention he was leaving for the military right out of high school. I thought he was the one, but we can't always have what we dream. It was stupid of me to think, but I had always been a lover girl.