Part 1 - A Chance Encounter

A Chance Encounter

"....Sir, are you awake?  This is the third attempt to wake you up, you're going to be late for your flight."  

Groaning, I open my eyes and immediately have to cover my eyes because of the bright hotel lights. Suddenly feeling moisture I realized that I fell asleep with a bottle of liquor in my hands...again.    "You know, I would speak a great deal softer if the person paying my bills were hungover if I were you" I say while attempting to take a drink from the bottle., only to have it snatched out of my hands before it touches my lips. 

  Through his usual blank facial expression, he smugly replied  "If I had to speak softly every time you were hungover, the world would never hear a peep from me"   Fadil Nazir,  descendant of one of the most ancient werewolf pack stood there with a garment bag in his hands, refusing to budge until I take it from him.  "If I'd known that my service to the council would have resulted in me babysitting a rich drunkard, I would have chosen a different path in life.  Here you are, one of the most powerful people in the world, both physically and financially, and you act as if life is so difficult.   The fact that you, a born human, had enough dormant power from your werewolf bloodline to inherit a wealth that was curated over centuries is beyond me.  In every room you are the strongest, the fastest, and wealthiest person in the room but you insist on feeling pity.  I would like to say you dishonor your family with your actions, but aside from drinking you don't DO anything. "  He then tosses the garment bag at me and turns to leave.  "The jet will be taking off in 45 minutes with or without you.  I would recommend getting dressed"

 A low growl releases from my lips, but I keep my words to myself.  Even though I could make him regret his words, I know better than to act against his family, and by extension, the council of alphas.   Although my situation is unique and the council HAD to allow me to take my family name and power.   I recognize that moving against Fadil would mean an even tighter leash around my neck.  Besides, he's right.  Since the night I was taken away from everything I ever knew, and was bitten against my will, I haven't felt anything except rage.  Rage at myself for  not researching my ancestry, rage for not being given choice, and rage at having a babysitter.  But that changes today.  I've got meetings today to discuss investing in a business, and this is going to be the start of a new chapter.   I get dressed and head down to the lobby to see Fadil there with my bags.  

As per usual he's standing there checking his watch as a reminder  that I'm somehow always late with absolutely nowhere to go.  I go stand outside the hotel entrance as I wait for the car to be brought around and loaded.   Just as I walk out the door, a group of rowdy people who smell of alcohol almost run directly into me.  I quickly step back to avoid them to let them go on their way but one of them manages to trip over the tip of my shoe even though I gave them enough clearance to get by.  Instinctively I reach my arm out to catch the person falling, wanting to avoid Fadil lecturing me further.   "Thank ya babeh"...My ears perk up as I hear the accent, and for the first time in months since my transformation I looked someone in the eyes.  She had glasses on, but her beautiful brown eyes put me in a trance.  She had gorgeous red locs that fell to her neckline which was adorned with a choker, ironically completed with a crescent moon pendant.   

"I...." before I could get a word out, Fadil slammed the trunk of the car and signaled that we were ready to leave.  I helped her back to her feet and she ran off to join her companions.  As I take a step towards the car, I noticed a card resting on my foot.  I bent down to pick it up and recognized her face on the card, along with an address in New Orleans.  "I'm sorry to interrupt your trance, but if you could pick your mouth up and get into the car I would be most appreciative" Fadil scoffed.  I reach to put the card into my pocket, and with a deep breath a sweet sent fills my nostrils.  I put my hand up to my nose and the smell got stronger.  My lips part in a surprised smile as I get into the car.  "Fadil, let's get to the airport so I can get this meeting out of the way.  On another note, do we have any friends out in the bayou?"