Dreams are dreams

Life is hard for Angela, a poor 13 year old girl, who lives with her parents. She had blond hair with streaks of brown, her skin, white and lightly dusted with ash and sand, her eyes, blue-green. She doesn't have a proper home, she doesn't have many friends and her parents treat her like she doesn't exist.. Each day she asks herself these two questions: can you live life when your life barely exists and can you love life when love is all gone?

Angela opens her eyes, the cold floor touching her back, the warmth of the sunlight on her cheeks. morning, she thinks to herself, she is aware of her father and mother sleeping on the mattress just to her right and her big brother on the 'sofa' on her left. she stayed very still, no wanting to wake her family and hoping this peacefulness will last forever...

she closed her eyes, trying to remember the dream she had that night... beautiful ballrooms, sparkling ballgowns, lots of delicious food and a huge castle all to herself with her servants tending to her every need. aah what a beautiful dream, how she wished it would come true! 

She opened her eyes, no ballroom, no ball gowns, no beautiful princess's bedroom, no nothing, all that was there was the sky, the sunlight pouring in from a huge hole in the roof of their flimsy shack they called home. she sighed softly to herself, little tears forming in her eyes, dreams are dreams, they would never come true, no matter how many times she wished and how many times she'd thought it would...never...

In her dreams she was a princess, a fairy, a mistress of music and magic, she wore ballgowns and beautiful dresses made out of flowers and laces. she had castles and luscious forests and even all the pets in the world to keep her company, but these are dreams, not reality. She's only a girl, poor and misunderstood, she wore ragged clothes and lived in this ruin, this shack, she had nothing of her own, not even a little blanket, all she had was time and her wonderful wonderful dreams, beautiful as they are, they are dreams. They seemed so close that you could touch them, yet they also seem to be so far, farther than the furthest star in the sky...