Twenty-Two

"Does it hurt when you try to speak?" The pink-haired boy asked as he looked in the wardrobe mirror, his eyes flicking to the reflection staring back at him.

Nathan still lay in the bed, propped up on his elbow to watch the other boy get himself ready.

At first, the idea of being watched made Aiden uneasy, but he soon got used to it, especially when he realised the older boy wouldn't stop even if he told him to.

He drew the line at letting the white-haired boy watch him dress and undress, though. The pink-haired boy was not yet ready for that.

That disgruntled Nathan, who dramatically threw himself down and held his chest.

The younger boy enjoyed watching the elder get playful and childish. Those rare moments were a welcome break from the pain, worry, and torment that both boys harboured. And it always made him laugh when Nathan pouted like a baby.

Aiden watched the older boy pick up his phone, texting with his right hand.

He didn't miss how the boy kept his left arm pressed against his stomach, even while resting. He noticed how Nathan had stopped using the arm almost entirely since returning from the hospital.

It was concerning.

The pink-haired boy broke from his thoughts when his phone vibrated in his back pocket, so he pulled it out and read the message.

Sometimes, it's hard to get the words out. They get stuck. It feels like I'm choking.

Aiden nodded in understanding.

He loved hearing Nathan's voice, even if it was rare.

The low, husky tone was incredibly attractive, even with the occasional stammer and dragged sounds.

The pink-haired boy felt his insides flip when the boy spoke to him in the early hours of that morning. It was the first time the older boy said anything to him in his right mind and without provocation.

Usually, he whispered Aiden's name while he was sleeping, and he'd said it once when he was so delirious because of his infection. But he'd never spoken to the younger boy consciously until today.

Aiden didn't make a commotion at the sound of the boy's voice, choosing to sit in his lap and hold him tight instead of making any comment.

He knew Nathan felt open and exposed whenever he tried to use his voice, so if the pink-haired boy started squealing excitedly, he would have shut down.

A warm feeling of satisfaction washed over him as he realised the white-haired boy trusted him enough to step out of his comfort zone. There was something endearing about being chosen that way.

Aiden headed to the bathroom, listening to the sounds of Nathan getting out of bed and trying to get dressed.

He had to admit that things were a little more complicated with the shoulder brace on and the lack of movement.

It was challenging to get anything other than a short-sleeved t-shirt on without hurting himself or ending up in a tangled mess.

"Stop groaning like that," Aiden chuckled, reaching for his toothbrush. "You sound like an old man."

The boy laughed as he spotted the older boy's reflection in the bathroom mirror, glaring at him as he stood shirtless in the doorway.

The pink-haired boy froze for a second, his eyes roaming the slender body in the reflection.

He'd seen the white-haired boy shirtless before when he was sick, but he was too concerned to pay much attention; now he could look.

Aiden felt his heart skip a beat as he admired the pale-skinned boy.