Short Story

(January 2, 2020)

I woke up to the loud knocking of my sister Kira, I pretended to be asleep until the knocking stopped, Suddenly, I heard my door being opened, I covered my face with a pillow and closed my eyes, hoping she won't bother me

"I know you're awake, kiddo. Are you running away from your promises?" Kira asked while trying to remove the pillow from me.

"Can we go shopping tomorrow? I'm very tired." I said in irritated voice

"But I have other plans for tomorrow, come on. I'm leaving in two days; besides, I want you to be the last one I go shopping with." Kira replied

"Fine, but you have to give me your pink denim jacket."

"Whatever, Get ready, we'll leave in thirty minutes."

I stood up and took a bath. I wore my favorite black shirt that Kira gave me on my birthday. We went to the mall and started shopping at different stores. Kira is going back to New York City to continue to study microbiology. This has been her dream since she was a kid even though I never wanted her to go far away from me. After shopping, we stopped at an ice cream shop to rest.

"I still don't get it."

"What?"

"Why New York University?"

"Why not?"

"Don't you think it's too far from home, then you're going to leave me alone here."

"I've been coming back to New York and leaving you alone, aren't you getting used to it?"

"Of course, I do, it's just that I want us to be with you."

"You should get used to being without me, one day will come that I'll be leave you forever"

I rolled my eyes as I took a bite of my ice cream, here she goes again, talking about dying.

"Can you please focus on your studies? I don't want to hear another about boys."

"And I don't want to hear that you died."

"I'm not going to die, okay."

No matter what I do, I can't stop Kira from leaving, she really loves science. We immediately went home after we ate, while Kira checked what she bought, I went to my room to rest, I lay on my bed and stared at the ceiling.

"What about you Kate, what's your plan?" I asked myself.

I was about to close my eyes when I receive a message from Simon - asking if I'm still going to his friend's party tonight,

I smiled as I replied 'yes', all of the sudden, Kira entered the room and caught me smiling.

"Who are you talking to?" Kira asked me

"No one, I just saw something funny. What are you doing here?" I asked.

" We're having dinner soon, don't sleep."

I smirked and lay on my bed. I texted Simon to pick me up and tell Kira that they're having group study and he wants me to join because tomorrow is our exam, Simon reluctantly agreed.

I went downstairs to have dinner with Kate. We were having fun talking when someone knocked on the front door. I ran to the door and opened it.

"Oh hi, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"Yeah, what are you doing here?" Kira added.

"I was just wondering if you would like to join us? We're having a group study for the big exams tomorrow." Said Simon.