Chapter 2: In the Shadow of Togetherness

Ominis offered to walk Celestina back to the Ravenclaw tower

Ominis offered to walk Celestina back to the Ravenclaw tower. There was about an hour left before the curfew. A few students were still about: some in small study areas or on the way back to their dormitories. Celestina and Ominis remained silent as they walked.

A couple of Gryffindors were whispering behind them as they walked.

"...just go up to her and ask if you can send her an owl over the holidays, if it were me!" One of them said. "I reckon I have better chances with my Potion final..." said the other, mopily.

Their voices then faded as they turned the corner.

Celestina managed a small chuckle. Ominis turned his head, as if to glance at her.

"I didn't take you to be one to laugh at someone's romantic struggles," Ominis said, sensing what Celestina was reacting to.

Celestina shook her head. "What, no! That's not why I was entertained. Although, if they're more confident with Potions, that is saying something."

"What was so funny then?"

"Just the thought of either classes or a crush as being the most prevailing thing in your life..." Celestina trailed off. "...sounds magical."

"Is that not the case for you?" Ominis asked.

It had not crossed her mind what exactly she should be fixated on now that her ordeals with Ranrok were over. As sure as she was of his demise, she did not feel the satisfaction of a good ending. Celestina was hesitant to admit that she still felt broken, thinking about what lies ahead for Sebastian. But this conversation was a reminder of normalness, an opportunity to try and move on, if they even could.

"That remains to be seen," Celestina said, bringing herself back to the conversation at hand. "Check back with me in a couple of days once I've started reviewing for History of Magic."

They reached the spiral staircase that connected with the Ravenclaw tower, Celestina right behind Ominis. She observed Ominis as he walked confidently ahead, complete trust in his wand and his senses, never a worry that he would miss a step.

"You're looking at me," Ominis suddenly said, stopping and turning to face her. They had reached the landing that led to the Ravenclaw Tower.

"Sorry," Celestina said embarrassed. "I didn't realize."

Ominis gave an amused scoff. "I'm used to it."

She raised an eyebrow. "Then why did you feel the need to point it out?"

He shrugged. "Instead of staring, know that you can always ask me if you feel like you have questions about...well, me."

His invitation made Celestina realize what a novelty Ominis actually was to her—not in the sense that he was a blind wizard, but that she hadn't really had the chance to get Ominis for himself. The little she came to know about Ominis was only of his family—after they found his aunt during their search for Slytherin's scriptorium. But they had never spent time together as friends, and most of their conversations—if not all—involved Sebastian.

Guilt washed over her. Barely an hour ago, Ominis said that she had proven herself as a friend. The truth was, they had spent very little time being that at all. The hug they shared suddenly felt like a beginning, an opportunity to learn about each other outside of the darkness they've had to wade through these past months.

"I will," she promised. "Same to you about...well, me." She smiled at Ominis as she echoed his words. She wasn't sure if he could sense her smile or her guilt, but he gave a soft smile back.

"I'll save you a seat at Charms tomorrow," he said, stepping back so that she could pass him into the Ravenclaw tower.

Celestina passed him, touching his arm as she did. "Good night."