Chapter Ten

Every inch of the town square, from stone benches to bird baths and miniature fountains, was festooned in gaudy and sparkly decorations. Wood chimes with colorful streamers that fluttered in the wind hung from the low-lying branches of ornamental trees. The lamp posts and the archway into the area hadn't been spared from garlands of bright pink, coral, and orange wildflowers.

In any other town with posh districts and elegant houses, such a chaotic display would seem out of place. But Alola was the perfect venue for the garish style. The local children certainly seemed to love it, because they kept coming back to look and hang out.

"Now remember," Sua said as she held her younger sister's shoulders and looked her in the eye. "No wandering past the caravan trail, even if your friends invite you to. And make sure to check your change if you decide on buying sweets, all right?"

Ubi's ponytail bobbed as she nodded. The child held her woven wool purse against her chest. The money Sua had given her tinkled as she bounced on her heels.

"I promise," Ubi said. "Can Po come with me today? My friends really want to play with him."

Sua felt her antula quiver with excitement on her shoulder. Unfortunately, both Po and Ubi would have to be disappointed today. The last time she'd let the little creature near her sister's friends, he'd ended up puking from all of the treats they'd given him.

"I'm afraid Po stays with me today," she answered, "unless you can promise that nobody will be giving him even the tiniest bite of food."

"Aw. That's no fun."

"Ubi."

The girl continued to pout.

"You sound just like Mama when she's angry."

Her sister's words reminded Sua that, unfortunately, their mother could not come with them to the fair. Sarisa had been feeling so poorly that morning that the woman had declined a stroll to at least see the town square's decor. It almost made her second guess her decision to carry on with her plan.

But as soon as Sarisa heard that she was going with Gin and Batani, the woman herself urged her to go. It didn't help that Ubi begged to come along and meet with some schoolmates after hearing them. In the end, Sua promised that she'd be back with Ubi soon after the auction ended.

"If you don't follow the rules and end up making trouble for me, Mama will get angry." Sua patted her younger sister's hair. "Now go."

Ubi stuck her tongue out before running to her waiting friends. Sua shook her head and turned in the opposite direction, determined to do something about her dilemma. Like before with the picnic, Gin had agreed to come with her to the fair.

This time, though, he'd fetch Batani from the medicine shop and walk with her to the square. Sua could only imagine what would happen during that stroll since she wouldn't be there. Perhaps her friend would link elbows with the man again or actually get him to hold hands with her.

After all, Batani had a charm of her own. Her friend might be ditzy and pushy sometimes, but the woman was loving, not to mention skilled at treating cuts and bruises. If Gin ever got hurt, Batani would manage to help him quickly.

Though if it were up to Sua, she wouldn't let him get hurt in the first place.

So much loyalty, and still you're trying to set him up with someone else, her inner voice whispered.

Before she could tell it to shut up, the bang of a heavy gong resounded throughout the area.

"Attention, one and all!" A man yelled out to the crowd from the platform where the gong was mounted. His surcoat and pants had polka-dots in the same colors as the paper streamers and tassels hung around the vicinity. "The last auction is about to start! Step right up and see what treasures we have for you today!"