Chapter 7

Michael woke up after what felt like a century. He realized he couldn't move. He could see out of two holes where his eyes were. "What the fuck is going on?!", Michael thought. He froze hearing a familiar female voice. "Shh! Be still and quiet. You've been sleeping for quite a while. I think they noticed that you never left the building last night. The cameras are searching for you. But they couldn't find you. I have you hidden too well. I kidnapped you. Don't be afraid. I'm not going to hurt you. I am only going to keep you for a little while. Try not to wiggle, though. You're inside something that came from my old pizzeria. I don't think it was ever used - at least, not the way it was ever meant to be used. Too dangerous. It's just big enough for one person to fit inside. But just barely". Michael's eyes darted as she continued, "You're in the scooping room. Do you know why they call it 'the scooping room'? It's because, dummy, this is the room where they use the scooper. I thought that would be obvious. Isn't that a fun name for something? "The scooper." It sounds like something you would use for ice cream, or custard, or sprinkles. It sounds like something you would want at your birthday party, to ensure that you get a heaping portion of every good thing. I wonder, though, if you were a freshly-opened pint of ice cream, how you would feel about something with that name. Thankfully, I don't think a freshly opened pint of ice cream feels anything at all. Uh-oh. It sounds like someone else is in the building. Shh!". 

 Michael stayed quiet despite his better judgment, hearing the following conversation take place between two men. "Okay, bring her over. More, mooore... okay, stop. Set her down. Waaatch the step", one unknown man said. Another unknown man said, "What happened to it this time?".  The first known man said, "Just seems like these things can't go a day without breaking down. Who knows, it's always the same (men?). Some kind of hardware malfunction". "Well, I have to be somewhere in, like, 15 minutes. This place gives me the creeps. Can we just get this over with? It's all automated, we don't have to be here for it. Just get it on the rollers and we can go", the second unknown man said. Michael heard loud mechanical noises, and at one point, he saw Ballora was on the rollers in front of him. He didn't know what was happening at first, then the conveyor stopped. The familiar female voice said, "There's something very important that I've learned how to do over time. That is, how to pretend. Do you ever play make-believe? Pretend to be one way, when you are really the other? It's very important. Ballora never learns. But I do. They think there is something wrong on the inside. The only thing that matters is knowing how to pretend". There were then 4 loud beeping sounds, and right in front of him, Ballora got scooped.

"I'll open the face plates for you. That way, they can find you on the cameras. Now, all you have to do is wait. I'd recommend that you keep the springlocks wound up. Your breathing and your heartbeat are causing them to come loose. You don't want them to get too loose. Trust me", the voice said once more. The face plates were now open. He went to wind up all the springlocks, seeing something climb up the side. He wiggled to get them off. Soon, it was all over, and he could leave.