Chapter Nine: Traitors!

They are taken captive and their helmets are removed. Kyla pressed the button for hers. They are taken to the camp.

"These aren't separatists." Echo states, "They're Republic fighters."

"Why would Tarkin send us to attack our own forces?" Tech asks.

"Because we refuse to fight for an Empire." A guy says.

"Gerrera." Kyla states.

"Princess." Gerrera states.

"You know him?" Hunter asks.

"Encountered him with the Jedi and Rex." Kyla states, "We trained him to fight for the Republic."

"So, the newly declared empire sent you to wipe us out?" Gerrera explains.

"Well, we're here to neutralize a group of insurgents." Hunter states and Gerrera laughs.

"Well... here we are." Gerrera states, "What are you gonna do? Strike us down like you did the Jedi?"

"Is that a request?" Crosshair asks.

"Enough. We expected to find battle droids, not–" Hunter begins.

"Civilians? Times change, targets change. Why don't you take a look at the insurgents you were sent to destroy?" Gerrera explains and they look around at the scared expressions on the children's faces, it makes Kyla's heart break for the kids. It was the same expression her people had on their faces when the Separatists took over her planet.

"It makes you wonder what else they are lying about." Gerrera states, "Let's mobilize. Pack up the camp."

"Gerrera, we didn't know." Kyla explains, "Honestly."

"What's going on here? Who are all these people?" Hunter asks.

"Villagers, croppers, former Republic fighters, all now displaced refugees since Palpatine unjustly appointed himself Emperor." Gerrera explains.

"According to reports, the Jedi made an attempt on the Supreme Chancellor's life. His actions were a defensive measure." Tech explains.

"And I figured you for the smart one. With the Jedi decimated and the clone army under his command, Palpatine will have control over the entire galaxy. Unless we stop him." Gerrera explains.

"The war is over." Crosshair states.

"If we give up now, everything we fought for... everyone we lost, will have been for nothing. I won't let that happen. The Clone War may have ended, but the civil war is about to begin." Gerrera explains.

"With a handful of fighters and limited firepower? You don't stand a chance." Hunter states.

"Not alone we don't." Gerrera explains.

"We should leave if we're gonna make the rendezvous." A guy states, "What do we do with them?"

"The clones once helped us free Onderon, so we'll give them a choice. The old ways are done. You can either adapt and survive, or die with the past." Gerrera states, "The decision is yours." He hands Hunter his blaster back. They stand there as Gerrera's people leave in the darkness. Kyla watches them disappear. She grabs Hunter's arm as she hears something that wasn't the people leaving. Hunter looks over but didn't see anything or sense anything. They head back to their ship.

"At least with the Republic, we knew where we stood. Tarkin and this Empire are a whole different story." Tech states.

"Yeah, especially when he's tried to kill me." Kyla states.

"Why are we debating this? We need to complete the mission." Crosshair states.

"Wake up, Crosshair. They sent us to eliminate innocent civilians." Echo states.