1~A Strike of Inspiration

Art by @32_Oogawa on Twitter

Rui Kamishiro sighed as he opened the door to his apartment. The young man was absolutely spent after a week attending different gatherings. He was glad to be back home and in his element. He trusted his newest production and could go home now.

Rui turned the light on. He saw a fair amount of mail, as well as a package laying on the island in the kitchen. The man smiled, looking through the papers. Bill, bill, junk, bill, coupons...oh, these must be my new headphones. He thought.

Rui set tossed the junk mail into the trash and ripped open the package he'd received.

He'd ordered new headphones in an attempt to alter his atmosphere. He had found it quite difficult to write a new script. He'd had no bouts of inspiration over the past four months. He sighed, fumbling over to his couch. He turned the TV on. He turned to a sitcom. However, he didn't feel comfortable. Maybe I just need another pillow. He thought. He went to his room and grabbed one of his pillows he put in his chair.

Rui was rummaging through his stuff out of habit when he reached the bottom layer of his messy desk. He found an odd piece of paper but shook his head. He'd look at it later.

Rui walked back to the living room and watched TV until he decided to go to bed. The young man was exhausted.

Since he had gotten his big break with his second musical, Rui had been incredibly busy.

He was a director and producer now and at only twenty-eight. He had been in that position for a year. Rui used to be a theme park special effects man and director. However, now he was in the big scene, with his musicals being performed throughout the world.

However, now that he had had his big break, Rui was anxious for his next production, which he didn't even have an idea for yet. It had to be good. He couldn't just be a one hit wonder.

He'd made two productions. The first wasn't a flop per se. It was just what one would call a good first try. By his second production, he'd gotten used to how things worked. That was the production that had made him known by more than just Shibuya.

Rui's phone suddenly vibrated. He picked it up, seeing a notification.

♥︎amia♥︎ posted a new photo

Rui smiled. He hadn't looked at Mizuki's posts in a while. He opened his phone and found the photo.

It was an image of Mizuki and their friends, as well as girlfriend. Rui vaguely recalled their names. Mafuyu, Kanade, and Ena.

He smiled. Mizuki had been with that group ever since their first year in high school. They looked happy with that group. Mizuki used to tell Rui about their worries, about how they were concerned about how long this happiness would last.

Rui had always replied with an "Enjoy it in the moment" type response. Now, it looked like things were still all in order.

Rui decided to look through Mizuki's account. After all, he hadn't seen them in a while.

He scrolled through the endless amounts of pictures. Mizuki had moved out of their old house but still lived in the same city. Rui could infer based on some of the pictures that there was only one member who didn't still live in Shibuya.

That was Mafuyu Asahina. Rui had briefly spoken with her around ten years ago at the Shibuya Festival. By the look of things, she seemed to be doing much better. Apparently, she now lived an hour away, somewhere in Kanagawa.

Rui smiled. He was so glad everyone looked to be doing okay. It reminded him of his high school years. However, that was more bitter than sweet to remember.

He perished the thought and commented on Mizuki's latest post. It was just that everyone looked great and basic well wishes.

The man stood up, setting his phone on his desk to charge. His hand brushed against the odd piece of paper he'd ignored before.

"Oh...hm...I guess I was going to look at that earlier," he said to himself.

Rui picked it up and soon found that it was connected to another sheet of paper, and then another. It was a thick packet of around twenty or thirty pages.

"Jeez, what is this?" he muttered, organizing it and unfolding the bits that had creased.

The packet didn't seem to be in that good of shape. It was folded in random places. There were stains that ranged from drool to coffee, and it was filled with annotations in about fifty different colors of gel pen.

Rui looked confused. He shook his head, grabbing a hair tie out of his right hand drawer. He put his shoulder-length hair up to avoid it, obscuring his view. He turned one of his monitors on to get a better light.

The endless amounts of notes and annotations were distracting, but Rui pulled through.

He was able to read through the word jumble easy enough, finding a script for one of the shows he'd never gotten to do.

It was one of the most intricate plots he'd crafted. While the script was less than presentable, Rui could not take his eyes off of it. The mess of everything was somehow intriguing.

"What IS this...?" he murmured, chuckling at the papers' scribbles.

Rui smiled as he deciphered the notes. All of his previous tiredness and exhaustion were replaced with curiosity and intrigue.

He flipped through the script. What seemed like a curious five minute detour turned into an hour. As he finished the last page, he sat there with tons of stray thoughts swimming through his head.

Suddenly, Rui spun around in his chair, laughing to himself. This was perfect. This would be his newest project. If he could revamp this seemingly lost script, he would have something...

It could become something worthwhile.

Something beautiful.

He held the packet of papers close to him, thinking of many different ideas and different things he could create.

"I've got it..." he said to himself.