Sweetheart Chapter 2

Slowly we pulled up behind two cruisers, a scene all too familiar about to plague our eyes. My partner and I walked up slowly to the police tape that sectioned off the area. I noticed a rookie off to the side puking his guts out, typical. An older burley guy stood guard at the front of the yellow police tape, a scowl present on his face. I pulled out my badge, and my partner, Ryder, did the same. He only slightly nodded and held up the tape high enough for us to bend over through. I pulled on a pair of plastic gloves while Ryder held a notebook and a pen. The closer we got the more I dreaded what we would see. Of course, I'd worked similar cases and this wasn't even my first murder, but that was exactly the problem. Why in a small town like this, did a potential serial killer suddenly make his presence known?

Ryder nudged my shoulder, tilting his head towards the body. Similar to the first two, he was found in an alley with his throat cut. I kneeled down next to the body, making note of the marks around his wrists. I called out to Ryder; "Throat was cut from ear to ear, he likely bled out from that. He has little to no defensive wounds, so the attacker surprised him from behind. He was bound at the wrists too." Standing up, my eyes wandered through the rest of the scene. "He was killed in an alley, like the others. Either because it was empty, or perhaps this guy was making a statement. The coroner will be able to tell us more" I walked back to Ryder while he quickly jotted down what I said.

"What kinda statement?" He asked, blowing blonde hair out of his face. "The kind where he thinks he's cleaning up the city." Ryder's mouth made an O shape, and he continued to write. I walked past him, towards the entrance to the bar. I heard him jogging to catch up to me.

"You should cut your hair, it's getting a little long, no?" I said, without looking at him. He chuckled, walking next to me. "You're one to talk, Ronan." I glared at him, but he had a point. The last couple months my hair had grown long enough that I had to keep it in a bun. Before we walked into the bar, I called out to Ryder.

"We should talk to the people in the bar, ask if they have cameras. Maybe even whoever saw him last." Ryder nodded, holding the door open.

"The first responders are still talking with the owners of the bar. It'll probably be a no on the cameras though." I sighed, walking in.

"Figures." Every light inside the bar was turned on, and I could see the potential owners at the counter speaking with a couple cops. I expected them to be scared, or sad. But the only face that greeted mine, was one of indifference. Bruce, the cop that was speaking with the owner, noticed us walk in. He had his hands in the pockets of his uniform, and nodded walking up to us.

"Before you ask, no there aren't any cameras. They had some, but they quit working about a week ago. The new ones were supposed to be installed today."

"So what'd they say?" I asked, a bit irritated. He rolled his eyes but continued to fill us in.

"The owner was here last night, and he remembers the kid. Said he was a real piece of work."

I narrowed my eyes, "Meaning?"

"Meaning, he was rowdy and drunk, rude to the bartender and right before he left, he was seen talking to a girl in the corner of the bar. She looked uncomfortable, left the bar and he followed suit." He paused, while I waited for him to continue. Except, he didn't.

"So what's this girl's name?"

Bruce shook his head, sighing. "Don't know."

"Well that's just fucking fantastic." I said. "No cameras, and no name to the only potential witness we have." Bruce shrugged, turning to walk back to the owner. Pissed, the only thing we could do now was head back to the station and map out what he has been so far, which wasn't much if I'm being honest. Ryder trailed behind me as we walked back to the cruisers, and as he got into the passenger seat I spoke up