Chapter 5

TW: Descriptive blood violence

﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌

11:00 pm

Seungmin was shocked. Never in a million years would he have expected to run into Hwang Hyunjin in the middle of a zombie apocalypse—Hwang Hyunjin, of all people.

"I'm sorry but, could you please stop blinding me with your flashlight?" Hyunjin asks, holding his hands before his face, eyes squinting at the figure behind the blinding light. Seungmin quickly lowers the flashlight, nodding.

"Sorry."

"It's okay," Hyunjin replies, sitting there while waiting for his vision to return, colourful spots being all that he can see. While Hyunjin squints, blinking profusely to try and return his vision to normal, Seungmin notices the few empty boxes around Hyunjin.

"Those are perfect. Bring those when your eyes get better." Seungmin points the flashlight at the boxes before returning to where he was covering the door, stepping over the unmoving zombie bodies scattered around Hyunjin.

"What?" Hyunjin calls, managing to stand while still being unable to see properly. His eyes fall to the boxes by his feet, and he takes a moment.

"These?" Hyunjin squats down to pick them up, before he follows the unfamiliar figure, to where he stands by the door. At this point, Hyunjin can somewhat see, the guy (Seungmin) holding the flashlight between his teeth, continuing to tape loose papers and CDs onto the door. Hyunjin is quite confused, watching the guy covering the door.

"What are you doing?"

"The zombies have bad eyesight, but I assume they can still see moving shapes, and are sensitive to light. I want to use my flashlight, so I'm not taking any chances." Seungmin says as he takes the flashlight out of his mouth. That's when it occurs to Hyunjin. This guy is smart. "Can you hold the light for me?" Seungmin asks, holding the flashlight out to Hyunjin.

"Sure."

Hyunjin shines the flashlight directly on the door, not noticing how he's shining it right on the uncovered glass. Seungmin was shining it on parts he had already covered. A loud bang sounds as a zombie flings itself at the door, blood splattering onto the glass. Hyunjin jumps in shock, whereas Seungmin tilts his head at the zombie. It slides down the door, bloodshot eyes trained on the light, however, seeming like it's staring right at them.

"Strange," Seungmin says as he puts a piece of paper where the zombie's face is, taping over it. It was a girl, and from her uniform, was a junior from their school. Something about that zombie was unsettling to Seungmin, and he wasn't sure exactly how to explain it. "We will sleep in shifts tonight. I'll keep watch first." Seungmin says, and Hyunjin nods.

"Fine by me..." Hyunjin squints his eyes at the male, who is now squatting down, staring at the zombie that's peeping through the large gap left at the bottom of the door, eyes fixed on Seungmin. Hyunjin couldn't see his face properly but recognised the uniform. "How old are you?"

"Me? Seventeen." Seungmin replies, turning his head to Hyunjin. "I turn eighteen soon."

"You look familiar. I go to your school." Hyunjin says, and Seungmin shakes his head.

"I'm pretty sure that you don't know me." Seungmin sighs, turning his head back to the door as he continues taping over it. I turn eighteen soon. Tears prick at Seungmin's eyes, as it begins to hit him. He was going to turn eighteen soon. He could almost smell the cake his Mum bakes him every year.

He forced it down. He swallowed the thoughts and made the door his focus. His heart ached, but he chose to ignore it as best he could.

"Oh! I know you!"