Fate 🍋

{ HUGE TRIGGER WARNING, DO NOT READ IF YOURE SENSITIVE TO MOST DARK THEMES }

Your legs were numb, but you continued on.

There wasn't another option.

Twigs and various plants crunched beneath your feet, the sound barely noticeable as it was drowned out by the violent ringing in your ears.

Chest heaving and muscles aching, you pushed yourself, knowing the moment you stopped was the moment it was all over for you.

You'd forgotten how long you'd be running.

Minutes? No, it definitely felt longer than that, closer to hours at least. Usually your stamina would have tuckered out long before now, but adrenaline and pure desperation spurred you on somehow.

Maybe because you knew what kind of hell was waiting somewhere behind you.

Suddenly, your world slammed to a halt, almost not even comprehending what had brought your long sprint to an almost instant pause until you heard pained groaning coming from somewhere in front of you.

Your head spun, but after a few moments, you realized you'd collided with something hard and had fallen back straight on your ass in a nearby bush.

"Ow-a are you alright?" The voice instantly sent a pained jolt through your heart, making you panic and almost scurry to your feet until your mind registered how gentle the voice had sounded.

Not condescending or laced with fake judgement or kindness as you were used to.

As your eyes adjusted, you finally noticed the figure a few feet in front of you, now also sat on the damp grass.

You'd somehow managed to sprint head-first into another human being.

The man before you gave a quick rub to his shoulders before finally raising his head to look at you, concern evident in his facial features as he waited patiently for your response.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't..." Even your voice was now lost on you.

How quickly you always defaulted to an apology for fear of retaliation.

"I-I'm fine, thank you... are you alright?" It was odd seeing another person.

How long had it truly been..?

"Nothing too serious." The younger man gave you a reassuring laugh as he hopped up to his feet, being sure to extend a hand to you in order to help you stand as well.

Skeptically, you eyed his opened hand, palm facing up toward the heavens while you stared it down.

"Sorry about that, that was totally my fault. I was too busy watching the birds or I could have dodged you. Here, let me help you up."

Like a wounded animal, you flinched when he moved his hand an inch closer, quietly cursing yourself as you noticed his happy expression falter a bit.

Just as he went to pull his hand back, concerned he'd offended you some how, you quickly took his hand and accepted his help, happy to see the smile return to his lips as he helped you to your feet.

"No, it was mine. I- wasn't watching where I was going." A pretty lie never hurt anyone, right?

I shouldn't be here- I need to go, to keep moving. I can't stay in one place or he'll find me.