Chapter 1

–???--

Pain… Pain is temporary. 

At least that is what they say. But everywhere I look there's always someone suffering. Someone hurting. No matter where I go the pain always follows like my shadow, it's become a part of me.

My mother told me there's beauty in pain but no matter how much I try to see it… I can't.

A distinct roar outside had me opening my eyes. The numerous shouts of men outside and horses panicking had me on edge as I looked to the carriage door.

We've been found.

I moved to stand and exit the carriage only to stop as my friend grabbed my shoulder and pushed me back in my seat. "Stay here!" he demanded before getting up himself to hurriedly get outside." 

"But I can help!" I argued. 

"no!" he snapped back, taking me by surprise. He rarely looks this concerned. "if they discover you now then everything we've lost will be for naught!"

"but-" 

He cut me off once more, jumping out of the carriage. "do not leave this carriage until I say so!"

slamming the door shut I listened as he started shouting orders to get the horses under control and for the archers to notch their bows. Another screech outside had me covering my ears and I could hear the screams of both man and animal alike as the creature outside attacked them. 

Flames blew past the side of the carriage lighting the small space up in an orange glow. The small curtain covering the window was scorched in an instant as hot air filled the small space. I covered my head as if to shield myself from the heat and I tried to ignore the anguished cries of those outside as they burned alive. 

The scent of smoke and burning flesh filled my nose and I squeezed my eyes shut trying to drown it out. He told me to stay. If I go out there now they'll know. I have to stay calm, They can handle a single drago-

I yelped as my carriage was suddenly hit by something and rolled onto its side, throwing me from my seat in the process. I hit the siding and groaned as I sat up. The side door above me was hanging open and I could see the claw marks that raked across the once elegantly painted wood. 

Another roar and screams from men outside had me gritting my teeth and standing up. I can't stay in here, not when I know I can help them! I climbed up to the open door and managed to crawl out of the flipped carriage. 

Looking around I was horrified by the sight before me. The surrounding forest was on fire. I could see a shadow overhead breathing fire down upon a group of knights burning them to a crisp and lighting up the night sky. A horse that had been set on fire ran past along with a few stragglers trying to flee the dragon's merciless slaughter.

Looking around for my guard I saw him close by lying injured in the dirt road. The beast attacking us flew down and landed in the clearing And any nearby soldiers rushed towards it with their weapons only to get swiped by it's serrated tail. 

The beast's glowing green eyes turned to me and narrowed as I stared back at it in shock. The fire reflected on the dark green scales across the beast's body as it stalked closer to the carriage boarding its fangs. Opening its maw I could see the glow coming from its throat before it spewed fire towards me. 

—1 day later—

–Cassian–

"Get out and stay out! Don't come back without money!" the bar owner shouted before slamming the door in my face.