Blue Diamond

April 2023

"You might as well be blind." Baek-hyun told himself as he stared from a distance. He was looking at the woman that he truly loved, cherished... and had taken for granted. It was all his fault. 

She was once his. His Hye Soo. It was in 2016 when he last touched her. That was the happiest he had ever been in his whole adult life. She was a rare gem that one should prove to be worthy enough in order to possess her. They were so happy with each other but he made a mistake. He cheated on her. Then she disappeared for years. He had his first chance to get her back in 2020 after he found her but it was a hard decision. Something held him back. He loved her but he wasn't ready to let go of his bad boy ways. He contemplated until 2021. It was not until 2022 that he saw another chance to woo her again, but someone came along. And like a stupid moron that he was, he fell into a trap. A girl named Tae-in got his attention. He thought he could forget Hye Soo by being with her. But he was ultimately wrong. He broke it up and promised to go after his Hye Soo again and for real.

He had so many chances to win her back but he let them slip. He didn't know what came over him to let those opportunities pass. He was a complete idiot and he wanted to punish himself mercilessly.

This year, he made the decision that he would pursue her no matter what. He would redeem their union and nothing could stop him. After giving her a longing look, he decided to walk in her direction and mustered up all the courage to face her and beg for forgiveness. He had been too confident that she loved him enough to stay with him. But he was an assuming imbecile. He stepped forward and took several steps towards her. They were now only a few meters apart. Her back was still on him and he was about to call her when two ladies came to cling to his sides. His eyes bulged out and looked at them in shock.

"Hi handsome!" the one on his right giggled. 

"Would you like a drink with us?" The one on his left chirped.

"I'm Kyo-mi, by the way." He turned to his right. They were both beautiful alright but they fade in the background when lined up with his Hye Soo.

"And I'm Eun-ah." The other one fluttered her eyelashes. Ah another charming one, but again, they're nothing compared to his Hye Soo. His Hye Soo! His eyes widened again and felt all his blood rush to his face. What was he doing looking at these two girls whom he didn't even know? He tried to get out of their grip but they were clinging too tightly to him. 

Somehow, he couldn't speak. He looked at Hye Soo's direction and had his heart thumping so hard he thought it would explode. She was now staring directly into his eyes. In a flash, her eyes narrowed and focused on the two girls who had their arms wrapped cozily around him. 

With one last unbothered eye-roll, Hye Soo turned her back and walked away from him. He tried to reach with his one arm but it was quite difficult with the two pairs of limbs gripping him as if he was a prized possession. 

"Hye Soo!" He called at the top of his lungs. But it was as futile as attempting to cover a gigantic hole with a little piece of cloth. She was too far to hear him. 

He was a fool, alright. A certified nincompoop. He was stronger than these girls, but why couldn't he use that force to get away from them and go after the most wonderful person he had ever met in his life? Was he that useless?

Maybe he deserved to be ignored by her forever. He had a blue diamond within his reach but he just let it slip and allowed himself to get distracted by mere pearls. And that's the thing, pearls could be artificially produced but a blue diamond couldn't ever be cultivated by force. They came naturally, but only once in a blue moon that you'd consider yourself the luckiest if you ever laid eyes on it. So yes, he was an ignoramus. There was really no doubt in that. And he will forever regret taking his precious Hye Soo for granted.

He deserved to burn in hell.