Fifty Six

The applause raged on as we stood side by side, our arms raised in triumph. Together we had faced our struggles, always there for each other. Crystal pulled me away from the noise and soon we were making our way up to the roof of the empty house.

From our perch, I could see the brightly lit festivities in the park below. The town must have turned out in droves to witness the play. Crystal looked at me, and I pretended to focus on the distance to tease her.

"See something you didn't before?" I asked.

"I'm trying to imprint this image," she replied. "Something to remember while I'm away."

I knew she had always wanted to fight and see me again down the road. It wouldn't be easy to hear, but I had accepted it.

"You're okay with this," she stated, not asking.

"It's what I've always wanted, Crystal," I said, looking at her. "To see you fight and come out victorious. No matter how many years I'll have to wait to see you again."

"It won't be years..." she trailed off.

"You know what I mean," I nudged her shoulder.

Our legs dangled over the edge of the roof as we basked in the calm serenity.

"So, Dad got you here, huh? You must have been surprised," I said.

"I was. But now I'm just glad he came through," she replied.

It didn't take me long to realize that Crystal had been present during my college interview with Dad. They had been discussing something while I was away, but I knew better than to bring it up.

"You realize this won't ever be off anyone's radar now," she said, pointing to the house.

"That's fine. I've got a feeling we won't have to worry about it," I reassured her.

In the silence, I savored the newfound purpose with her by my side.

"So, what's next?" I asked, finally breaking the silence.

Crystal grinned, knowing I had been waiting to ask that question.

"It's time to fight," she declared resolutely. "I'm going to do whatever it takes to beat this. And you know something? I think I will."

I remembered the first time she had almost told me the truth about her condition, how uncertain she had been. Now, she was determined to fight with all her might.

"You think I can?" she asked.

"Does it really matter what I think?" I replied, feeling a smile spreading across my face.

Crystal beamed at my response, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"And what's next for you...Patch?" she teased, emphasizing my name.

"It's music to my ears to be called that again," I said, looking up at the moon. "I'm going to be the best version of myself."

"Whoever that may be?" she asked.

"Whoever that may be," I repeated. "Just wait and see."

"But, about that..." Crystal trailed off, shifting her position. "I might not be around for a while. At least until they can fix this thing in my head. And the people who can aren't from around here."

"How far are you going?" I asked, eyeing the stage.

"Nowhere close," she said softly. "Not in this country, that's for sure."

I had already accepted it before she said it. What mattered was that she was going to get the help she needed. And that made me happy.

"Ten years from now, we'll be back in that forest, Patch," Crystal says wistfully, her eyes sparkling with memories yet to be made. "We'll remember when we carved those letters into the tree trunk."